Well I found out today and am needless to say pretty excited....however
here is my dilemma:
Would be 100% bilingual (am currently fluent due to a year abroad in France but would love to be annoyingly verbose)
College is 3 years in Europe
Worldwide name recognition
The degree is called "Langues Etrangères Appliquées, Mention Commerce" which basically is international business with a concentration in two languages (one of which would be English most likely and perhaps Italian or Arabic...)
-PRICE (only 300-400 dollars a year but I'd have to also factor in living expenses in an exorbitantly expensive city and international flights to and from) this is especially good given my desire to obtain an MBA
-School starts in October (which is good because I was nominated to go to Egypt this summer to learn Arabic on a full scholarship and would need some time to recoop most likely)
-Do I really want to commit my college years to French?
-I want to ultimately work for an American firm (media conglomerate hopefully) overseas and am wondering if a European degree would hinder me in terms of American recruitment or employment overseas?
-Large university, large classes but as with all large universities the more major-specific classes are less crowded
-High-brow, pedagogical French...enough said...
- Had dreams of attending INSEAD for grad school but if I went to Europe for undergrad I'd most likely go to the US for grad...
I called Berkeley Haas School of Business today and they said the only difference in terms of admission to their MBA program in this case would be a necessary TOEFL...regardless of my nationality and mother tongue (which are American and English, respectively)
As an aside, I really do plan on spending the rest of my life in Europe...more specifically in Paris but I can't stress enough---I want to work for an AMERICAN firm abroad! (like Viacom, AOL Time Warner, News Corp., etc)
My other alternatives:
UCSB (too 'OC Bro/Chanel Fashionista') for my taste
UCSD (where I'll most likely send my deposit)
Bowdoin College (only possible if admitted off the waitlist and given a good financial aid package which is highly unlikely, alas...it is my dream school)
I have until July 31st so I think I'll send my deposit to UCSD for good measure and mull everything over for a bit and decide...
Any input is appreciated