Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Top Public Honors Colleges and Programs 2016

UniwatcherUniwatcher Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
Just announced top programs for 2016. http://publicuniversityhonors.com/new-top-programs-by-category/ Clemson, Georgia now have top ratings along with S. Carolina, Schreyer, Barrett, Plan II, Kansas, etc.

Replies to: Top Public Honors Colleges and Programs 2016

• informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    LOL, no. Fake rankings are fake.
  • Higher_Ed_DataHigher_Ed_Data Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    @informative You do have a point but the schools that @Uniwatcher highlighted in the original post (Georgia, Kansas, South Carolina, Penn State, etc.) are definitely great honors programs to consider.

Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • UniwatcherUniwatcher Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    @informative I don't know what you mean by fake. These are not rankings in the first place, but ratings. The previous edition was mentioned very positively in the NY Times at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-a-prudent-college-path.html?_r=0. This is a 400 page book with more data about these programs than you can find anywhere else.
  • JMS111JMS111 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    I have the previous edition. It's terrific.
    @JMS111 shoot me a message and I'll send you a complimentary Kindle of the 2016 book when it's available, very soon. The 2016 edition is the culmination of five years of research and dialogue with more than 100 honors deans and directors. I'd like to know your thoughts about the latest edition! @Higher_Ed_Data let me know if you have questions about a particular honors college or program.
  • wayneandgarthwayneandgarth Registered User Posts: 1,672 Senior Member
    Ratings need to be made relative to top schools yet these listings don't have data on some top programs such as Michigan.
    @wayneandgarth Good point, and Michigan LSA and UVA Echols were in the highest rated group in the two previous editions. They are reviewed in the new edition as well, but not rated because I was unable to obtain all the data necessary for the revised, more in-depth methodology. One thing about LSA and UVA Echols: they are in universities where students are likely to attend regardless of the honors option, though Echols has some nice perks. Given the mean test scores for all students at both universities, they are practically "honors" universities as a whole, similar to UC Berkeley, where there is no university honors program. Michigan and UVA would have changed the current metrics, but mainly in the category of prestigious scholarships.

@JMS111 Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments. You are correct that after five years of entreaties directed at honors deans and directors, they have been remarkably forthcoming, especially in providing data for the new edition.
  • HitItHereHitItHere Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    The 2014 edition is outstanding. I am a fan of the honors college model, and the book is a one-of-a-kind gem. It provides the kind of detail that has helped in our search, providing information clearly that we use when asking questions at honors colleges as well as at private schools. Looking forward to the 2016 version.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 27,025 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    There is, in my view, no resource on honors programs that is as focused and helpful as this one.
    Seconding this, times 100!
    An essential resource, easy to use, which I recommend alongside Fiske Guide or other guidebooks.
    I'm especially curious about NJIT's and UHouston's inclusion.
  • insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,343 Senior Member
    Can one apply directly to a uni's honors program during their initial college application?
    @MYOS1634 First of all, thanks! You are curious about Houston and NJIT, and here is the explanation: There are about 30 programs that are included in each edition. The remaining 20 rated programs (plus 10 with summary reviews) are included because I invite them or they ask to be included. In either of these cases, the programs submit detailed questionnaires, followed by spreadsheets with all kinds of course and section data. Sometimes programs do not follow through on one or the other of these requirements. Then we invite or accept other programs. In the end, we are looking for those with the most comprehensive data. Houston and NJIT certainly complied in all respects.

One of the most enjoyable things about this work is the discovery of what some might consider to be hidden gems. Honors colleges, especially, are created to concentrate excellence within universities that may not have high US News Rankings. Honors programs are generally older and are often a part of higher profile publics (Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Washington, UT Austin, UVA, UC Irvine). While we identify top programs as a group in each edition, we do not claim that the data set in each edition includes all "top" programs and colleges in the nation. As the 2016 book shows, there are always such programs out there deserving of recognition.
    @insanedreamer Most honors colleges and programs have earlier application deadlines, partly because those approximate many scholarship application deadlines. We list deadlines for 80 programs on our site, but you should also go to the school site to verify these and find out if there is an essay requirement. http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2014/10/07/fall-2016-honors-application-deadlines-for-80-public-universities/
  • pittsburghscribepittsburghscribe Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    Where do you find the book for purchase @Uniwatcher? Is it on Amazon? Thanks!
    Yes, the Kindle is out, print version in a couple of weeks.http://publicuniversityhonors.com/yes-we-have-a-book/ Thanks for your interest!