Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Forbes: 25 Most Expensive Schools Worth Every Penny

Replies to: Forbes: 25 Most Expensive Schools Worth Every Penny

• miningengineerminingengineer Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    edited November 2016
    I didn't read the article, but looked through the list @hhjjlala kindly compiled. This is probably the worst argument I've heard. Salaries from the NMSU (New Mexico State) School of Engineering with low in state and out of state tuition are either equal or even higher in some cases than MIT or any school on that list. And that's just one example.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 1,891 Senior Member
    I'd rather just look at lists like this because they account for the average cost at the college AND the salary potential

http://www.payscale.com/college-roi/school-type/private?page=24

http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-roi-colleges/
  • alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    Interesting that no international schools are included. My daughter had a choice between a SLAC (for a total about a cool 1/4 million$) and Cambridge U (for a total of $80K). Guess which one she chose?
  • insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    @alcibiade Did she get scholarships from Cambridge? Cost of tuition (for non-EU) + living expenses is about $40K/year (though granted that's still cheaper than many LAC privates, except that the final COA is often much less than the sticker price)
    @insanedreamer, she is an EU resident, we live in Europe. So it was the same as British fees. 9K pounds tuition per year.
  • RustyTrowelRustyTrowel Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Cambridge tuition at GBP 9k. A great school at a great value--that's always where the real ROI is. Just another example of a discussion thread on CC that is way better at getting to the truth than the mainstream journalists are.
  • IsaacTheFutureIsaacTheFuture Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    No Rice? I'm really surprised.
  • EngPIIEngPII Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    Useless list.
  • insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    @alcibiade ah,that makes complete sense - If EU, absolutely no point of coming stateside if accepted to Cambridge (other than on a full scholarship).
    @RustyTrowel, it's amazing, isn't it, how little international perspective makes it into debates on domestic issues in the US - the presumption is that everything is better, the facts be d@mned.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    Too bad very few of us are 'average'. I would love to see a list at sticker price, with salary outcomes adjusted for cost of living and graduate education. State flagships would be at the very top.
    What do you mean by cost of living? Are you assuming graduates go to work in the city the school is in?
    @philbegas , no, but they graduates to take jobs in the region where they are located. For instance, for a given job, I might need to earn $40,000/ year more to equalize the cost of living and higher taxes in the bay area vs. Indianapolis. So, even a lifetime earning difference of $1 million at Cal vs Indiana, which would greatly affect a ranking based system on salary, would have no real world meaning.
    edited December 2016
    @TooOld4School
    While I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, isn't that something that the students/parents/counselors should be looking up on a case by case situation? This college ranking that you're hypothesizing would only apply to graduates from the university if they followed the prescribed route of getting a job in the area the university is in.

For example. I'm from CA, but if I end up going to a school like NEU, and then coming back to work in CA, the ranking wouldn't apply to me because I didn't go to work in MA.
    @philbegas , sure but all of the rankings are based on averages. Each family needs to create their own specific ranking matrix since prices and outcomes are different for each student. Quite frankly, I am surprised that USN or some other data aggregator does not have a fully customizable ranking system