Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Schools similar to University of Maryland?

Replies to: Schools similar to University of Maryland?

• STF4717STF4717 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    We did check out Loyola since it's so close to us - I really loved it, but son hated it. Too small, too white, not even close to being diverse enough for him...70% Catholic? Yep, dealbreaker.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 2,359 Senior Member
    edited May 21
    Looking for: big school that is social/athletic, diverse student body, busy campus, Comp Sci major, no more than 4-5 hrs from DC metro area.
    Lehigh hits all these points, except "big" (total enrollment of about 7200). My impression is that they weigh test scores more heavily than GPA in admissions.

Lehigh has strong CS, but with an unusual orientation: most of their CS students choose the "Computer Science & Business" program, which is jointly sponsored by the Engineering and Business Schools. This path leads to an unique 4-year BS degree that is fully accredited in both CS (by ABET) and business (by AACSB).

The CSB degree is extremely marketable, so it's worth considering if your son has any interest in business. If not, then Lehigh also offers a plain-vanilla CS degree (without business), but this is a less popular option.
    @Corbett ...thank you! Lehigh was on our initial lists...but for some reason it dropped off my radar. I think because their stats and GPA look so high. I had no idea they had that joint program...that sounds very interesting.

I think 7,000 still qualifies as big (or maybe big enough).

We also have a connection to Lehigh...so that can't hurt! Thank you!
    Thought I would update everyone- we visited UDelaware today and it was a hit! Felt big enough for kiddo, sort of like a smaller version of Maryland. Also liked their little town, and everyone was nice and friendly.

Still to check out this summer: James Madison, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and NC State.
  • pct3pct3 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Was UDelaware diverse? My S and I need to visit this summer.
    @pct3 it was sort of hard to tell, given that school wasn't in session. However, there were tons of students there (freshman orientation), and we saw several dozen students who were there taking summer classes. There appeared to be quite a bit of diversity among the students we saw, and among the tour guides. When I got home I looked it up on college results and found it's 73% white- that doesn't sound very diverse to me. :(
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,489 Senior Member
    Ohio University, Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisville.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 16,411 Senior Member
    Perhaps UConn , Pitt, Syracuse, SUNY Buffalo
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,901 Senior Member
    Tennessee, Kentucky, Towson, Richmond.
  • DeltaMom2019DeltaMom2019 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @mom24boys I hadn't heard that about Montgomery and Howard counties for UMD in-state admission. Any insight on applying from Prince George's county? It is D19's top choice and I would love to see her there. Thanks!
  • Wien2NCWien2NC Registered User Posts: 928 Member
    NC State
    Rutgers
    George Washington
    Miami Ohio
    U Conn
    East Carolina
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,857 Senior Member
    For your kid's bare-bones back-up plan, check out the articulation agreements between Howard CC and UMCP. Here in Montgomery County, lots of students start at Montgomery College and then transfer. There even is a program where MC students can start taking classes at UMCP part-time. I wouldn't be suprised if something like that exists for Howard CC.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    College of Charleston.
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    I'm reading this thread with interest since I have a S19 who will likely end up with similar stats and looking at the same schools. (He doesn't want to be more than 4-6 hours from home and would probably be fine with anything further away than George Mason).

We're in the DC Metro area, but in NoVA. According to Naviance, S19 has a better chance to get into Maryland with his current 3.83 WGPA and (likely) 1400+ SAT than he does to get into VA Tech (I'd rather pay in-state tuition!)

@STF4717 I was interested to hear that your kid thought Penn State was way too big but OSU wasn't. Now I'm curious to visit Ohio State because I always assumed it would be even larger in comparison to University Park (granted I haven't been back to Penn State since I graduated 20 years ago!)
    edited June 30
    @DeltaMom2019 Here is what the policy is: "Under the Maryland Higher Education Commission guidelines, students who have met the minimum standard of a 2.0 GPA (Grade Point Average) are eligible for general admission to four year colleges or universities that are part of the University of Maryland System on a space available basis. This guideline does not include selective or limited enrollment programs such as business administration, computer science, engineering, teacher education and other limited programs found on these campuses.

Institutions may delay your enrollment by a semester until space becomes available. This information should be provided within your letter."

So...no guarantees a kid from a Maryland community college (at least from Howard Comm College) can get in to UMD.