Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

I can't decide!!!! Help!!!

Louis33Louis33 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
As an international student(no green card), which major is easier to find the job in the US and get the H1B?

I just got the two admissions from the Ohio state university and Penn state. (the college of engineering)
I'm into industrial engineering, computer science, and petroleum engineering now.

But, personally, I think majoring in petroleum engineering is easier to find the job in the US than majoring in computer science. Because not many undergraduates who major in this field. In other words, compared with industrial engineers or computer engineers, it's less competitive to find the job as a petroleum engineer. In addition, starting salaries for petroleum engineers are extremely higher than other majors.

However, currently lots of jobs have been slashed by oil and gas production companies worldwide, so majoring in petroleum engineer may be a risky choice.

If I major in industrial engineering or computer science, I think it's really competitive because lots of undergraduates who major in this field, compared with petroleum engineering. Therefore, it'll be absolutely hard to find the job, especially I don't have the green card.
Could anyone give me some advice?

Replies to: I can't decide!!!! Help!!!

• insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,536 Senior Member
    There is more demand for CS than engineering, so if getting a job in the US after graduating is your number one concern, then I'd go with CompSci.

But you should also realize that the chances of finding a job with an H1B visa after graduation are small, and should also be thinking of what degree you want to have back in your home country.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 7,963 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    Agree^. When you decide your major, you should plan on returning to your home country for employment.

The US companies have to employ US citizens first and have to state, to the government, that no US candidates are available for a job, which is usually not the case.

If you look at US corporation websites, they will state that they are not sponsoring international candidates. So, you need to look to your home country to see who is employing your major.