Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Boston University or Bowdoin College?

2»

Replies to: Boston University or Bowdoin College?

• insanedreamerinsanedreamer Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry so much about the prestige factor as both are good universities. I think you should decide if the small LAC type undergrad experience (which is arguably superior, especially at top LACs) is worth the extra money to you over a more typical large university. If so, then go to Bowdoin. If you get a good CS job you'll be able to pay back your parents the difference later if you want. If that factor isn't so important to you, then go to BU and save the money.

Have you tried asking Bowdoin for more money? If I were you I would write them and explain your situation and that you'd like to attend their college but BU is more affordable, and you're wondering if they could increase their financial aid? My D wrote the college she was accepted to (which had already given her a good amount of aid) asking for more and she got it. You never know.
  • HopefulHoya1103HopefulHoya1103 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    If you are preppy, they are both preppy, but I would say Boston University is preppier!
  • JanwelJanwel Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    Hmmm. It seems like BU, while offering you a full ride, is limiting your access to the courses you want to take by having you in General Studies and London for the first two years. Could you contact them and petition for a change to September admission and starting in Arts and Sciences?

It seems like Bowdoin right now is offering you access to the courses you want to take, and that is important. no harm in asking for more aid either if you need it.

Good luck.

• exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 572 Member
    edited April 10
    @CSandBiogirl Your observation that you will be much better off at BU says it all. Go to BU then. You want to avoid debt as much as possible. And BU is an excellent university. You will in no way be disadvantaged going there.

I'd add that there is a disturbing tendency among some people, and especially HS students, to disregard finances. That is a foolish thing to do. Just talk to students whose families have gone in debt or who have racked up large student loans. Ask them how they feel AFTER graduating.
  • HopefulHoya1103HopefulHoya1103 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Have you chosen?
2»