Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Help me choose the b-school I'm going to transfer to.

Replies to: Help me choose the b-school I'm going to transfer to.

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 15,097 Senior Member
    edited April 13
    IMO especially as a more mature transfer student, I don't think the campus itself is a huge deal -- it is nice that your gf can visit and take some photos but as long as it is fine it should suit your needs. You are going there to finish your education and give yourself the best possible job opportunities.

Again, all best wishes as you take this next step.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    Campus is not a dealbreaker, and I'm living off campus. I spent a week in Philly exploring it a couple years ago and I know I like it, and housing is so affordable there we could probably afford to rent our own rowhouse lol. The class sizes could be important actually. I have a contact in the b-school so I'm going to ask them about it.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 6,405 Senior Member
    Since I participated on one of your early threads, I thought I'd drop in here to congratulate you on your well-earned and excellent options @philbegas!
    Thanks @merc81 I always appreciate you dropping in!

I also think Drexel has a better national reputation than Bryant does (for example if I want to work or go to grad school on the west coast somewhere who knows how I'll handle humid east coast summers).
    edited April 18
    Hey guys,
    a question regarding financial aid.

As I mentioned, I applied to some more selective, expensive schools like NYU Stern, BC CSOM, Bentley U, and Northeastern D-M. As far as I understand it, none of those award transfer merit scholarships besides NEU, and none of those are known for matching demonstrated need, even for freshman applicants right? I'm just wondering whether I should basically mentally prepare myself for being unable to attend them due to the costs being overwhelming (if I even get in). I mean CSOM projects 65k a year for example, Boston is expensive to live in, and I'm sure they aren't going to give me much fin aid.

Also Brown U? I heard Ivies meet full need but I'm guessing that doesn't apply to transfer students as well.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 28,330 Senior Member
    Prepare yourself mentally indeed. Also, you applied to the becqudebof the James Cook scholarship, right?
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Yes, prepare yourself! And Drexel sounds like an excellent choice for you, congrats!
    @MYOS1634 yes. My community college is taking the lazy route and not notifying applicants until JKC does so I'm just trying to do all possible research I can so I'm not scrambling if/when I get it haha.
  • BizWhizBizWhiz Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    According to their common data set, about 15% of Drexel's UG classes are 50 or above..Bryant I think has no class over 35; but the Drexel ones maybe more the earlier large lecture hall type general ed classes?
    I made a thread on the Drexel forum and that's what one poster said. The intro level classes were bigger and had TAs teaching sections/going over materials.
    However, I just found out that I did not receive the JKC scholarship, so with Drexel potential debt is 13-15k lower than the next best option. Unless I find out I get into another school with a big ol' merit scholarship, it really seems like I'm going to be a Dragon next yr.
    Congratulations! Drexel is in the city you want and is an affordable choice, so no matter what, you can't lose. :)
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 15,097 Senior Member
    Sorry you didn't get the scholarship but Drexel sounds like a great outcome. Wish you all the best moving forward.
    Thanks @happy1 and @MYOS1634 . I'm meeting with an admissions rep from Drexel because they happen to be in my area today so I can ask questions. It's my first time meeting with an admissions rep since high school. Is it weird to ask questions like "What sets you apart from the other schools I've gotten into: ___, ____, etc etc."? I mean I know the co-op is an obvious answer but I just wanted to know if there's anything else I was missing. I was going to ask about study abroad, international co ops, and just adding an extra co op in general.
    Sounds good. :)