Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admitted-Student Day vs. Ordinary-Day Visits?

13»

Replies to: Admitted-Student Day vs. Ordinary-Day Visits?

• Ran the DadRan the Dad Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    We recently saw 3 schools in 3 different states in 3 days. Two were Admitted Student Days (supplemented by one-on-one mtgs I set up for my D to meet with advisors and students). One was not an Admitted Student Day, but a day that I pieced together myself consisting of mtgs with a dept advisor, professor, student, a live class sit-in, campus tour, 2 dorm tours, rec center tour. Despite how extensive the day that I created sounds, the college-planned days proved to be more draining. Why? Lines, waiting, the broad-based approach to their "pitch". At one Big Ten, we spent the first 90 mins at 9am sitting in a huge auditorium, waiting for it to fill, sitting through a band, an acapella group, 2-3 administrators (and one very impressive student who should have been the only speaker over 60 seconds). Far less personalized experience means you can gauge overall "vibe" and "intention", but it's harder to gauge personal "fit". I say supplement the Admitted Student Days with your own pre-planned individual engagement touches for a richer and more informative experience.
  • KaffeineKittyKaffeineKitty Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    My daughter and I attended the admitted student days for her final first and second choices. After the visits, she switched her 1st and 2nd choice - based on conversations she had with current students in her chosen major. So glad we attended. She gained valuable information to help her clarify which school was the better fit.
  • PiccoloMom1995PiccoloMom1995 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    We saw my D's second and third choices on admitted student days and it totally changed her impression of the schools when she met other potential classmates. She didn't hear from her first choice until end of March and we couldn't fly to see it until 4/29. Like our D, we met many admitted students who had flown in to make similar comparisons that last weekend before submitting a deposit. I do think seeing her first choice on an ordinary day gave her a better sense of what the school and student body was like when they weren't putting on a dog and pony show.
13»