Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Amherst or Tufts? (for law)

Replies to: Amherst or Tufts? (for law)

• collegedecisionhelppleasecollegedecisionhelpplease Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thank you all for your helpful responses!! I have been in contact with coaches at both schools extensively @OHMomof2 !
  • MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,198 Senior Member
    Wait till they find out that former Professor, Dean and President George Olds was a leader in the Eugenics movement. during the 1920's...

Jumbo's skeleton is in the American Museum of Natural HIstory in New York City - which is way more prestigous than any museum in Amherst :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/22/arts/barnum-s-jumbo-is-back-in-museum-s-center-ring.html
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 996 Member
    Jumbo is an awesome mascot, don't get me wrong.
    Jumbo's stuffed remains were on display in Barnum Hall (on Tufts' campus) until they were destroyed by a fire in the mid 1970's. All that remains is Jumbo's tail and a peanut butter jar full of his ashes salvaged after the fire.

The jar has been stored in the athletic department, waiting for this moment. Amherst's generic, antiquated skeleton is no match. The Tufts CS department hacked Amherst's computers to influence the outcome of the mascot vote. Amherst's sports teams will now have no chance against Tufts...
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 8,479 Senior Member
    edited April 13
    No one was asking kids to cheer for George Olds, though.

I think a mammoth could kick an elephant's butt but one did a lot better in the evolutionary process, I''ll give ya that :)
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,076 Senior Member
    edited April 14
    If we judged everyone by today's standards, very few people in the past would receive a passing grade. I sure hope future people aren't as harsh with us as we are with our forebears.

In sports, we judge the best players against players of their own generation, because the sports change so much through time -- sports culture, technology, fan influence, marketing, conditioning, equipment, strategy. A player today is not playing the same game, in the same conditions, as someone who played it 50 years ago,

So why don't we cut a little bit of slack to public figures of yore? They had no idea where we were moving culturally. Lord Jeff apparently did some pretty unsavory things. Well that's bad, but maybe we ought to try to put ourselves in his shoes, back in the dark ages he lived in.

OP, sounds like you'll be cheering for a pachyderm either way. hehe
    @prezbucky maybe we ought to try to put ourselves in his shoes, back in the dark ages he lived in.

One could make that argument but IMO Amherst students really didn't feel like CHEERING FOR the guy. They made a great case that this isn't a statue or a plaque to be removed, it's a *mascot*, something the college is supposed to see as a unifying symbol to rally around. Asking,say, Native American students (but really ANYONE), to rally around someone who wanted to annihilate them and gave them small pox infected blankets, among other things, seems to me to be asking a lot.

You'll note the town is still Amherst, the college is still Amherst, the history has not been "erased". He's just not the "Yay, Go Us!!" symbol at sporting events anymore.
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,076 Senior Member
    Fair enough. I'm sure they exhausted most arguments before coming to that conclusion. You've gotta admit, that was a cool mascot though. I know I chuckled the first time I read it.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 58,623 Senior Member
    prezbucky wrote:
    Lord Jeff apparently did some pretty unsavory things. Well that's bad, but maybe we ought to try to put ourselves in his shoes, back in the dark ages he lived in.

However, if those unsavory things were unsavory even when considered in the context of the time frame that he lived, that still casts him in a bad light.
    edited April 20
    Note that the Tufts community fully supports Amherst's decision to change mascots. We welcome them as a new, but extinct member to our Elepantidae family. On the athletic field, though, it is survival of the fittest. Mother Nature has already spoken on this subject and the Jumbos are the clear winner. Of course Mother Nature was validated this past weekend when the Tufts Womens Lacrosse Team beat Amherst 11-7. The Jumbos emerged victorious despite the thermal advantages afforded by the Mammoth's small ears and long hairy coats on the remote frozen tundra of Amherst's home field.

I think a mammoth could kick an elephant's butt but one did a lot better in the evolutionary process, I''ll give ya that

@ohiomomof2 - For the record, Jumbo was an African Elephant claimed to be 13.1 feet tall at his death and he weighed 13,560lbs. The Columbian Mammoth skeleton at Amherst was found in Florida (not locally) and it is estimated to have been about 12 feet tall and weighed about 10,000 lbs.

Would you like to change your opinion? :-)

edited April 20
    @Mastadon have you seen the tusks on the Beneski mammoth?

https://allosaurusroar.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/beneski-museum-large-mammals.jpg

Let's look at Jumbo's tusks now: https://www.tufts.edu/about/jumbo

Jumbo wasn't local either, nor did any of his bones ever reside in Medford.

And if we're talking national champions..... http://www.nescac.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/releases/20170226mdg1s2

If the mascot change Tufts into the rival that Williams is, that will be fun :D
    edited April 20
    @ohmomof2-

Tufts has an engineering school and a vet school, so the tusk problem could be easily fixed before going into battle.

The Mammoths tusks don't look like very effective weapons to me - they are long, but turned in on each other!
    All show, no go!

As far as recent team national championships go...

Soccer
    Tufts - two
    Amherst- one

Field Hockey
    Tufts - one (plus one runner up)
    Amherst - none

Mens Lacrosse
    Tufts - three
    Amherst - none

Women's Basketball
    Tufts none (runners up twice)
    Amherst - one

Softball
    Tufts - three
    Amherst - none

Last year's Directors Cup
    Tufts #4 in D3
    Amherst #7 in D3

This year's Directors Cup (through winter season)
    Tufts #3 in D3
    Amherst #13 in D3

You guys started the Williams rivalry when you stole students and library books from them to start Amherst, so maybe your attempt to copy our beloved mascot will create another... :-)

LOL touche :)
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 996 Member
    edited April 20
    @Mastadon " For the record, Jumbo was an African Elephant claimed to be 13.1 feet tall at his death and he weighed 13,560lbs."

The key word here is "claimed." PT Barnum was a notorious exaggerator - that was his most charming feature. Jumbo was actually between 10 and 11 feet tall (which is absolutely huge for an elephant). Barnum's people first claimed that he was 11.5 feet, and when that was not impressive enough, gradually grew the story until he was over 13 feet tall.

Jumbo probably did weigh more than the Amherst Mammoth. Mammoths were lean, mean, fighting machines. Jumbo, in contrast, was a gentle soul who lived his entire life in captivity and got rather portly. :D