Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

best business schools to consider

Jsan81Jsan81 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
I live in the Chicago area and have only been looking at east coast schools recently, and a lot of them are reach schools for me, for example- Villanova and University of Richmond. These schools are great but a little bit of a stretch. My ACT right now is a 28 but I'm going for a 30. Are there any schools that I should look at in Midwest for business, of course Kelley school of business and University of Illinois, but are there any schools worth noting that have a great reputation not only in Midwest but also on east coast that I should look at?

Replies to: best business schools to consider

• trexation72trexation72 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    i would say UT austin but u only like northeastern schools
    U of illnois is great also UNC, UVA, also NYU ($$$)
    upenn -wharton is amazing but good luck getting in lol
  • lalalemmalalalemma Registered User Posts: 840 Member
    Ohio State
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,407 Senior Member
    UIUC, IU-Kelly and UW Madison are the obvious choices for someone with your stats in the Chicago area. You probably won't get into UW, but IU is a strong possibility. If those don't work out, Purdue and Ohio State are a step behind those choices. Another school you might look at is Missouri. It is easy to get into, in-state tuition is cheap and available after 12 months, and the school offers top tier employment opportunities in St. Louis and Kansas City.

DePaul, Marquette and SLU also are possibilities as well. They should be match schools for your ACT and are located in urban areas for internships. East coast equivalents would be Providence and Fordham.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,781 Senior Member
    What's your budget?
    Do you know your EFC and have you run the npc on some of the colleges you're considering?

Midwestern colleges : UMNCarlson (if you reach 30), IU Kelley (only if you get direct admit), IIT Chicago Business (match), Marquette and DePaul (Catholic), Ohio University (Business Honors). You could also apply to stOlaf (Management) and Denison (Commerce), nothing which would be matches of you reach 30.
  • Jsan81Jsan81 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    edited April 19
    budget doesn't matter. In terms of schools with a great reputation what would you recommend? @Zinhead @MYOS1634
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,498 Senior Member
    U of Iowa, u of Nebraska, Miami U (Ohio).
  • 367367367367 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Northeastern??
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,781 Senior Member
    Budget always (or almost always) matters.
    Run the npc then being the results to your parents.
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    Also, consider where you might want to live/work after college. Many of the schools mentioned have strong regional reputations and alumni networks, which can significantly impact your job and internship prospects.
    I would love to work on east coast by boston or New York, but i also wouldn't mind just staying in chicago. @hmom5
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 2,588 Senior Member
    Michigan if your can raise your ACT to 32-33
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,819 Senior Member
    Wait what is OP's GPA?
    I loved michigan but it will be a huge stretch @TooOld4School , my Gpa isnt bad but it isnt Michigan level, i have a 3.7, in terms of schools similar to michigan what should i look at?
  • my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    Is the GPA unweighted?? If 3.8 WGPA (and if you can get to an ACT 30 superscored) IU Kelley is direct admit and top tier. Even without the 3.8 GPA for direct admit, if you satisfy the ACT requirement you are close enough on GPA to petition for direct admit. Lots of discussion on this in the IU forum. Good luck!
  • obsessedwcollegeobsessedwcollege Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Above posters are right. IU kelley is your best bet. Honestly if you don't get in direct it doesn't matter. Just keep the minimum GPA reqs freshman year and they have a high transfer rate into kelley. U of Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State are other good options. (Essentially big publics)