College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
Do the Ivies (and other top schools) secretly suck?
I've recently stumbled across several articles enumerating various reasons why attending an Ivy (or other elite school) may not be the best idea. While some of the points seem valid (at least from what I know and the research I've done), I feel as though the writers opted for hyperbole and exaggeration in order to sensationalize their pieces a bit. However, as someone who has already committed to an Ivy and will be attending in the fall, the idea I may have just made an enormous mistake is terrifying. So how much truth do these articles hold? What do you guys think: are elite institutions as great as they are made out to be? Or is the image these schools present to college-bound seniors just smoke and mirrors, an elaborate facade?
Here are a few of the articles:
For those of you who do not wish to read through the articles, some of the main points include:
- stressed and depressed students
- many students' laser-like focus on a superficial definition of success (e.g. students giving up on their passions to go into finance or consulting)
- alongside the focus on "success", an apathy towards intellectuality and a lack of passion for ideas
- an unfriendly, competitive, and cutthroat environment
- a student body that isn't all it's hyped up to be (lots of mediocre people who have rich parents), with many uninteresting and/or moronic people
- unchallenging academics and massive grade inflation
- instead of teaching the ability to think critically, top schools merely prepare students for life in business and the professions
I'm not saying I believe these points to be 100% accurate whatsoever; however, I fear they may contain large grains of truth in them. What are your thoughts? Can you provide any information that would contradict these arguments? Please feel free to share your opinion below!