Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

VT vs. U Minnesota vs. Rutgers NB vs. U Pitt

dttadtta Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
My son is looking at majoring in CS or Engineering, with minor in Math or Economics. With scholarships, the cost is almost the same for all the schools. Get most scholarship from Rutgers, and least from VT. We're from VA. Which one has the best program for his major/minor ? What about opportunities for research/internship, etc. ...?

Replies to: VT vs. U Minnesota vs. Rutgers NB vs. U Pitt

• Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,263 Senior Member
    Do you know what kind of economics?

Minnesota additionally has a department of Applied Economics that is highly regarded.
    https://www.cfans.umn.edu/academics/majors-minors/applied-economics
    The Applied Economics major is rigorous but flexible. In addition to economic analysis, you can study other related topics. For example, you can take courses on international development, international trade, management, agriculture, the environment, or public policy.
  • dttadtta Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @Snowball City Thanks for the link. I think it is applied economics he was looking at.
    Has he compared the BS vs BA in computer science to see which has room for a double major? Would you be ok if he had to take an extra semester or year to complete the double major? Would the merit package continue?
    https://www.cs.umn.edu/academics/undergraduate/guide/suggested-four-year-plan

https://www.cs.umn.edu/academics/undergraduate/guide
    If he is coming in with AP credits in history and english he may be able to have them fulfill any non engineering courses or cs courses required by those major. That would then free up spaces for taking the economics classes.
    https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/academics/ap.html
    Do you know where to find the national ranking for each program ? Thanks.
    No I don't and I don't really know that the ranking tells you anything meaningful. All engineering has to be ABET accredited.

Engineering rankings also may not break things down by specialty. I have read on CC that Chem E at Minnesota is fantastic. I do not know about the other ones.

At the top of the page in the search bar I would plug in the word Engineering followed by the university name - Engineering Minnesota.

Then read all the search results as part of your research.
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    Which one is he in-state for?
    Thanks much for all the info, and especially the links on the APs. Regarding the BS vs. BA in computer science, I'm not really sure, I need to check with him. I think the merit is only for 4 years. He has AP credits - history, English, gov, and even Econs, so he should be able to use some of them.

It seems U Minnesota has many good programs. The only issues I see with it: 1. too cold in winter, 2. hard to visit and also will cost money to fly home vs. just drive like VT or other schools nearby. But he seems fine with it.
    @LBad96 VT is in-state
  • BooajoBooajo Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    Is he admitted to these places or just looking? If admitted, is he admitted to the Engineering schools? He should know this already. Not sure if he is trying to double major? Can be almost impossible to do that with engineering and non-engineering at some schools.

My D is at Pitt and loves it. It is big but not as big as MN. It is not as cold either. (I'm from upper midwest and lived in MN for years.) I know almost nothing about Rutgers, except people on CC are often talking it down--never clear to me why. VT is a great school, but I wouldn't be inclined to pay more for it (not sure how much "more" it costs you.)
    Southwest airlines flies into MSP and with the 2 free bags it can be a good deal.

In general I believe in going to a different part of the country. Local issues are different. He has probably never considered the effects of mining on the watershed of a national park, for example.

The weather isn't frigid. It is bracing. You know you are alive. Lol.
    @Booajo He's admitted to all those schools. In Engineering schools for all, except UMN where he's in Liberal Arts (CS major/Econ minor), and Rutgers he's accepted in both Engr and Arts & Science. We're looking at a major and a minor. I'm not sure if a double major will be too much. Pitt is also nice. We like the city.
  • FieldOfDaffodilsFieldOfDaffodils Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    My D got accepted at Rutgers Honors College for CS too. In addition she was also accepted at UMD and Northeastern. It would be interesting to understand your thinking about Rutgers. My D is seriously considering it. It is the cheapest option. It has a decent reputation for CS. But it's huge and impersonal.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,031 Senior Member
    Pay attention to how difficult it will be to get into the CS major at each school, if he does not have direct admission to the CS major:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19854939/#Comment_19854939
    @FieldOfDaffodils look like your D has some very good choices there for CS, as both Northeastern and UMD have very good CS programs. For Rutgers, before my S went to Rutgers Open House, he was seriously considering it; but after the Open house, for some reason he didn't like the campus, maybe it was the huge campus with the bus system that turned him away. What happens if the classes will be on different campuses ? It's not just a short 5-10 min bus drives. We may have to talk to a counselor or someone there to find out how students handle classes in different schools (science, humanities, math, etc..) in a same day.
    @ucbalumnus for all the schools, he has direct admission to the CS major.