Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

What are some realistic reach, match, and safety schools for a kid with crazy parents

2»

Replies to: What are some realistic reach, match, and safety schools for a kid with crazy parents

• ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    Definitely include Washington and Lee and Davidson if you want to stay down south
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    If you can, arrange meetings with admissions beyond just info session and tour if you end up going to some of the places you feel are reaches. Counselors comments on you application there might have more impact on your parents than anything you can say. I doubt any would say don't apply, but they will honestly tell you what they are looking at.

But unless time to visit is taking away from other stuff, go enjoy (but you seem to have a level head, hold on to that and don't get sucked into to prestige argument.
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 989 Member
    Given your stats, Alabama is gonna look a lot more prestigious to your Dad when the acceptances come out and the cost hits home. There's no harm in looking, with an open mind, at the schools your parents think would be good fits for you. Keep your options open so that you have as many choices as possible next spring.
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Before your parents drag you down a road you feel uncomfortable with, you need to have a sit-down, honest talk about finances. Your parents need to be completely honest about what they CAN pay and what they are WILLING to pay. Assuming they will be forthcoming, you can then run the net price calculators at a few "prestigious" (aka "expensive") schools and see what things look like, then decide accordingly whether to pursue these type of schools.

I say this both from personal and professional experience. When I was in high school years ago, my parents encouraged me to visit and dream about various private schools, then sat me down in MARCH of my senior year to inform me that, by the way, they would only pay for the equivalent of the in-state public university. Luckily, I had an ROTC scholarship process underway, and was able to utilize it to afford school--but, prior to that, I had either not applied for or turned down other opportunities that I should have probably taken (this same senior year I had a very good friend, who had his heart set on an OOS school and even had a good partial scholarship, be told by his parents he needed to take a full-ride elsewhere because they had bought a BOAT). Similarly, I have a friend who worked for years in college admissions and scholarships, who said every year he had kids come up in spring their senior year, crying because the parents pulled the rug out from underneath them without warning. I am not saying that your parents are those type of people, but this is YOUR life and you need to be dead certain you know all the facts. If your parents won't be honest with you about finances, you need to have your contingency plans in motion because that speaks volumes.
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 734 Member
    Since you like the South, in addition to the recommendation for Tulane, you may want to consider Rhodes in Memphis -- beautiful campus and a solid education.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,750 Senior Member
    Rhodes is a great idea!! :)
  • booboojrbooboojr Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    University of Southern California
    University of Florida
    SMU
    University of North Carolina
    U of Michigan
  • yushkiyushki Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @scmom12 Thanks! I've had a few of those meetings at schools like Syracuse and Alabama, they really do help!
    @BooBooBear I think the can/willing difference really depends on where I get in. I'll have to cross that bridge this fall
    @carolinamom2boys I might try to work in a little stop by Clemson this summer, it seems to have an awesome combination of academics and vibrant student life. I'll have to look into Furman and Wofford too!
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 5,630 Senior Member
    @yushki Definitely get your GC to nominate you for Furman and Wofford Scholars programs this Spring so that you can be considered for higher scholarships. It doesn't cost anything and there's nothing that you need to fill out. It's a very easy application.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Rice might be a high match/reach. Rhodes and Sewanee in Tennessee would be safeties.
    @carolinamom2boys Thanks, I will make sure to!
    @Houston1021 Rice is definitely a reach, I might stop by though
2»