Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Thought on match and safety schools for my DD

Replies to: Thought on match and safety schools for my DD

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    Please make sure she loves her safeties. An academically strong URM candidate is a draw, but bioengineering is one of the toughest majors to get into everywhere that admits by major. Read school websites carefully about how to get into the program. A few schools, like Hopkins, don't admit by major overall, but do for bioengineers. Bioengineer applicants get some surprise rejections, just because their major is so "hot" right now.

Do you know about Net Price Calculators? There is one on every college website. Use them to check for affordability before you apply. Not all the schools being suggested above are equally generous for scholarships and aid. All NPCs report need based aid. If they ask about things like GPA, test score, and URM status, they may estimate your merit award as well.
  • NJDad68NJDad68 Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    @merc81, yes, Tulane has great Biomedical Engineering and Chemical Engineering and they are both excellent. There is the Lindy Boggs Center for Energy and Biotechnology. (https://www2.tulane.edu/about/maps/boggs-center.cfm). The Biomedical Engineering web page can be found here: http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/bme/academics/undergraduates/. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering is here: http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/cbe/. Best of luck to you!
  • Proudmama2Proudmama2 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I've run net price calculators on every school we consider to make sure they should be affordable for us. Much of her high school engineering experience has been in mechanical engineering. She has experience using CnC machines (sp?) And using inventor software and most of her business partnership projects have been related to mechanical engineering. She feels that she would like to end up doing tissue engineering in the future and knows that graduate school will be a necessity. My daughter has not expressed an interest in HBCU and would like a campus with diversity if possible, although her educational background has been she has always been a less than 1%. My H and I decided early on that education was a priority for our children and have made sacrifices so that we would be in a district that can provide them with a positive environment and opportunities to reach their potential. So far it has worked well. In our research of colleges with good biomedical programs Vanderbilt and Duke top RPI. Emory does a 3-2 program with GIT so that is why she is looking at Emory (net price calculator on Emory was affordable. GIT was not). Tulane is known to do some good work in tissue engineering so that is how it got on our list. Unfortunately our flagship state schools are quite expensive and not known for giving great merit aid. But if Pitt was affordable it would be an excellent school.
    I will do more research on University of Miami. That may be a good fit.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 6,559 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    @NJDad68 : Thank you.
    The other qualities my DD is looking for is a strong co-op program and study abroad (she says she wants to minor in French to continue to build her fluency). Some schools show a strong documentation of both, some just mention both. If anyone has ideas feel free to share.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,751 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    Jamrock411 wrote:
    As far as safeties are concern, I would add 1 or 2 Engineering-related HBCU (Howard, Prairie View A&M, NC A&T). These HBCUs are top universities for recruiting of minority engineering students.

Note that Howard and Prairie View A&M offer automatic-for-stats large scholarships, while NC A&T offers competitive large scholarships. Other HB schools with engineering and automatic-for-stats large scholarships are Tuskegee and Florida A&M. Some of these schools use unweighted HS GPA to determine scholarship eligibility.
    Proudmama2 wrote:
    Emory does a 3-2 program with GIT so that is why she is looking at Emory (net price calculator on Emory was affordable. GIT was not).

That pretty much disqualifies Emory, since she will not be able to complete the engineering degree at GT due to it being too expensive. Note that a 3+2 program is 5 total years of costs.
    Proudmama2 wrote:
    The other qualities my DD is looking for is a strong co-op program and study abroad (she says she wants to minor in French to continue to build her fluency). Some schools show a strong documentation of both, some just mention both. If anyone has ideas feel free to share.

Study abroad may be difficult in an engineering major is long sequences of prerequisite courses. She should check how French courses of interest would fit into the humanities and social studies general education requirements at each school (definitions of an official minor vary, though it should not be necessary to have an official minor to take courses of interest). Since you mention Tulane, some parts of southern Louisiana have significant populations of French speakers.

Co-op programs for engineering majors are often listed on colleges' career center web sites.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    I would look to take advantage of her highly desirable URM and female engineer status, so look toward strong engineering programs at private schools with good FA or merit. I'd also look at programs that tend to favor athletes. Is she talented enough to be recruited (even as a bench player) ?

I'd add Notre Dame, Rice and Cornell to your reach list. OSU and MSU have decent OOS scholarships and would be matches.

What is her unweighted GPA?
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,195 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    @Proudmama2 I'm not sure of the financials on all the following for your exact situation but:

Northeastern would be a great fit for her and have biomedical/ bioengineering Coop opportunities in Boston, though it's an expensive area.

UMaine flagship matches PA flagship tuition and has a good engineering program.

UMass Lowell has a good engineering program at a great value.

I might go ahead and try your closest Ivy, Princeton and maybe Brown for maximum aid. (My favorite admit @donaldb040 http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/16691199#Comment_16691199)

Also because you mentioned French, our state public, URI, has a well established international engineering program which includes special housing and a year in the country whose language you study. So for French, she would be housed at URI with the other French engineering majors and speak French, have French food etc.
    http://web.uri.edu/iep/
    I don't know how the financials would work but in 2019, a 175 million dollar engineering building project will be complete. She'd have the new stuff. And I don't know her unweighted GPA but an environment that is a step down in intensity may be a lower pressure environment. That is what we went with for my student.
    edited May 17
    ^Forget to mention, during the year abroad (URI) in your language country you are working as an engineer.
    I believe that her uw gpa is 3.4 and will likely go up after this semester. She takes all honors and AP (she only has one academic core course on her transcript). As far as athletics, she could definitely contribute at a D3 school, less likely at a D1. Her size (5' 41/2") limits her.
    @gearmom I will research URI.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 886 Member
    edited May 17
    U of Rochester would be a good fit to continue basketball at the D3 level while pursuing engineering at a great school.
    @Proudmama2 Honestly, if she had a biotype engineering major and French minor she'd be lucky to have time to hit the gym 4 or 5 times a week. College is very, very different from high school in terms of ECs. Engineering students are lucky to get enough sleep and maintain healthy habits. Being on a team and choosing such a rigorous program will be very challenging.