Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Need help deciding on an engineering school

13»

Replies to: Need help deciding on an engineering school

• NickM8283NickM8283 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I have a 4.0 unweighted gpa. On a 4.0 scale. I have straight As. Ranked #1 in my class. And have taken all the honors and AP that I can.

And Eyemgh thank your for the great advice.
    I feel like I should not just have one college that I am looking at, are there any others that you have heard of and would recommend?
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 3,608 Senior Member
    Oh certainly, but I need more from you. What states are you willing to consider? What is your family's financial status? Will you be eligible for need based aid, or hunting merit? What hobbies do you have? Iowa State certainly isn't huge, but is it about the limit in size that you'd consider? Do you want the typical college experience like Iowa State will offer or are you more content being surrounded by people that are primarily thinking engineering 24/7? You also would serve yourself well by posting your stats, home state and the answers to these and any other questions important to you, on the engineering forum under majors. There's a plethora of wise posters there.
  • 57special57special Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    Isn't U of M the obvious choice?
    @57special, Michigan or Minnesota, and what makes it "obvious" for the OP?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 966 Member
    I would imagine that UMinn CSE would be really low tuition with an instate rate and scholarship, so THAT U or M does seem the obvious choice. The only way it isn't obvious if OP has money to burn. The stats are nice enough but wouldn't even get a guarantee of honors in CSE and won't necessarily be unusual stats for better schools. If OP wants out with merit then the options are probably going to be a compromise compared to his own state school.
    Personally, I believe UMN to be a great option too. Playing Devil's Advocate though, what if the OP doesn't want to stay in MN, or doesn't want to compete for a slot, or wants a smaller school, or whatever? What seems obvious to anyone replying has to then be viewed through the lens of the OP to see if it is truly a good fit or not, no matter what we think.
  • NickM8283NickM8283 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    UoM TC is not necessarily the obvious choice. It isn't that much cheaper, in-state tuition with room and board is still almost $27,000
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 966 Member
    edited May 19
    Until OP understand the real budgetary guidelines, it is pretty pointless, right? Again, those stats are fine for entry but not necessarily for great merit in eng anywhere other than the auto schools.
    Maroon and gold gives him 12K a yr. Dunno what else he might be eligible for. That is almost full tuition. R&B cost s going to come up at any residential university scenario. $10K for that is probably pretty average.
13»