Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Where do the casual, non-hipster, jock/outdoorsy kids go to college?

Replies to: Where do the casual, non-hipster, jock/outdoorsy kids go to college?

• boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    In Canadian universities, students do not need to declare a major when they apply unless they are applying for engineering or business or the University of Waterloo. The major is not set in stone until they graduate. In general, about 60% of the courses that a student takes are proscribed for their major.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    Maybe not access to winter sports, but access to outdoor stuff... UNC-Wilmington?
  • JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    If you haven't written off UCSB for cost reasons yet, my D19's counselor told her it was the UC in line with her stats, which are silimar to your son's. But there is a foreign lang requirement.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,506 Senior Member
    Actually UNC-W is probably a great one to look into.
    Additionally, UNC-W looks like it offers ASL for its foreign language requirement.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,454 Senior Member
    How about St. Lawrence, Bucknell, maybe Univ of Richmond (probably no winter sports), Hobart and William Smith, Denison (too small?), Elon (no winter sports), St. Olaf, Skidmore, and Syracuse. Oh, and also Miami Univ in Ohio.

Being male can help when applying to schools that have too many females. However, those tend to be smaller schools.
    College of Charleston might be another good one if warm weather climates work for him.
    It sounds like a fantastic place.
  • BooajoBooajo Registered User Posts: 650 Member
    My son sounds like he wants a similar vibe. He said "not preppy" but loved Miami of Ohio. To him, perfect feel of bigger university with primary focus on undergrads. Obviously not a snow skiing place!

My son also felt good about vibe at Trinity (in San Antonio), Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Minnesota. I think mine wants "work hard, play hard".
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,454 Senior Member
    Would your son be willing to go to a school without skiing knowing that he's home for a month every winter and can ski in the NE then? Might give you more options. He can also go on ski trips during spring break if he heads west.
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    Ohio U is a bit larger than he'd like (18,000 undergrads) but hits some of his other criteria: Outdoorsy location (river runs along the campus with 21-mile paved bike/walking path; lots of hiking nearby). Can substitute for foreign language with other classes that count toward the "Global Perspective" requirement or with certain international/study abroad programs (at least in the College of Business, which is very good. Also, the B school has its own Honors Program that he might be eligible for). Known as a party school so not overtly intellectual, but the administration has been trying to skew the reputation more toward academics. By appearance, students look pretty middle-of-the-road (not hipster-ish, maybe very slightly preppy). Football games are apparently a big deal (Div 1 FBS which means nothing to me but might to him). Don't know anything about lacrosse.

• lr4550lr4550 Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    If you haven't already done so do check out University of Puget Sound- On the bigger side for an LAC. Outdoorsy but not hipster. Has skiing. Also Lewis and Clark- Portland is so close the students really take advantage of their access to the city. If you think Whitman could be in his wheelhouse at least have him consider them- they will feel bigger than Whitman since they aren't so regionally isolated.

Otherwise I do agree with University of Denver though it is a bit preppy and Greek. Definitely UVM. Would also check out the University of Maine schools.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,221 Senior Member
    edited July 14
    Thanks again for the new suggestions. I have a Peterson's, Fiske and K&W guide in front of me right now.
    I am looking at all these suggestions. Some of these schools have quarter systems, which I don't see working for him. We already discussed how intense trimester and quarter systems are. This is a shame, because I was thinking U Denver seemed pretty interesting, despite the preppy element.

My son is a good student, but his learning disabilities can make school stressful sometimes.

@citymama9 , I will ask him about that. But I suspect he wants to be able to head out when he has a chance.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,511 Senior Member
    @lindagaf, Some quarter system schools do 3 courses in each of the 3 (non-summer ) quarters rather than 4 in each semester. Not all, but some. The pace may be a bit faster, but for many students, it's organizationally easier in the 3 class schools. And there are 2 re-sets each year rather than 2. (I.e. Union). You know your son, but I would check this at each school before writing it off for the calendar alone.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 1,924 Senior Member
    I think UVM is a really good choice and checks the boxes and its a great college town to boot!
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 3,576 Senior Member
    @gardenstategal, that depends very much on the school and the student. Most quarter schools require more hours. My son's curriculum is 200. He has nearly always taken 4 (or more) courses.