Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

College Reccomendations?

meganmurphy16meganmurphy16 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hi! I am a current high school sophmore, and I'm starting to look at colleges I would be interested in. I currently have a 3.8 GPA, and I am heavily involved in the school community and my town community. I live in the Boston area of MA, but I would be willing to travel for college. I am looking to pursue the communications/journalism route, and I would prefer a medium sized school - anywhere from 3,000-12,000. I would like to avoid any "country club" colleges, or schools that are a bunch of preppy and stuck up rich kids. Religious affiliation is not a factor that is at the top of my list, and none would be preferred. I don't really want an urban campus in a large city, I do prefer suburban and rural areas (but a small/med sized city I could live with - as long as there is some green space!). Thank you all for your help!

Replies to: College Reccomendations?

• Dancer14Dancer14 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Are there any particular states you are interested in looking at or is it just any good schools throughout the country?
  • meganmurphy16meganmurphy16 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @Dancer14 I wouldn't want to go the far west/west coast, but pretty much anywhere in the NE, South, or Midwest
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    Syracuse or Cornell.
  • Dancer14Dancer14 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    If you would like to stay in Boston, Emerson could be a potential good choice.
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    You mentioned College of Charleston in an earlier thread...
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 15,999 Senior Member
    edited July 16
    If you are a rising sophomore that means you have just finished one year of HS. If that is the case I think it is a bit early to look at specific colleges with just a freshman year GPA and no standardized test scores. You also want to leave room to change your mind over the next few years which gets harder to do once you feel like you have already targeted some specific colleges. It is good to take school seriously and know that college will be on your horizon, but it is too early to start planning for specific colleges. I would highly recommend that you get off of CC until your junior year.

For now you should focus on:
    --Working hard, learning, and doing as well as you can in the most challenging curriculum you can manage.
    --When the time comes study for standardized tests.
    --Continue your involvement in activities you care about and work towards making meaningful contributions to those activities.
    --Enjoying spending time with your family and friends.

When the time comes asses your academic stats (including GPA, standardized tests, course rigor) as well as your financial needs and apply to a wide range of reach, match, and safety schools that appear affordable (you will have to run a net price calculator for each school you consider) and that you would be happy to attend.
    @apraxiamom Yes, just trying to get more opinions
    @happy1 I'm actually a rising junior, but I understand your points