Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

help me to cut short my list of collages

2»

Replies to: help me to cut short my list of collages

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,073 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    For an international who needs a lot of financial aid and is from India, that's not a list to cut actually. You may even end up with zero admissions due to the financial aid factor, so, Id actually add 2-3 universities with merit aid.
  • International95International95 Registered User Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    @damn

I have this information because I attend Reed and am friends with student interns at the admissions office. I'd recommend that you email Reed's admission office to verify this statistic, as institutional research does not release this information on its website.

Some schools include this information on their FAQs. In the case of Vassar (https://admissions.vassar.edu/apply/answers/international.html#assist):

"Each year, over 850 international students apply for admission and financial assistance, and 35-45 are admitted with funding." That's an admission rate of 5%.

Schools that have engineering programs and smaller aid budgets, like Lafayette, are probably even more competitive, to be honest; LACs don't typically have engineering programs, and those that do tend to be even more difficult to get into with financial aid simply because of the large amount of interest in this discipline from Asian countries. Also take the advice of @MYOS1634 and apply to as many schools as you can. Do cut out NYU, and Harvard (unless you have an exceptional profile -- I think doing 'it might happen due to luck' apps is a waste of time, particularly if you come from India or China). Add other LACs.

Good luck!
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,082 Senior Member
    merc81, I am curious how that certificate works in the context of a rigorous college. I assume there is no college credit and Harvard and other students are already carrying a full course load. How exactly does the certificate work? Is it a MOOC? Is it graded? I doubt that the certificate resembles an actual undergrad business program but am wondering how it is possible and whether it counts at all for credit toward graduating or toward a concentration.
    I believe that it counts as a concentration with online classes. Students would add these classes and count them as part of their schedule.
  • damndamn Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @International95 those are actually terrifying stats. I can cut down NYU. I wanted to short the list because it'll take a lot of time to complete the supplement essays for 20 schools. The biggest drawback is that I require financial aid.
  • yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes Registered User Posts: 1,455 Senior Member
    Get rid of NYU - it is different than all the other schools on your list (huge school), and also is terrible with FA for domestic students, international would be worse I assume. I am not sure if they are need-blind for internaitonal applicants' admission.
  • damndamn Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    what do you guys think about St. Olaf College?
    Very strong academically, especially in math and science, music, religion/philosophy; pretty good overall academically. Wholesome, relatively liberwl, down-to-earth students.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,827 Super Moderator
    edited August 14
    Harvard College students, btw, also have access to Harvard Business School through the certificate program mentioned in reply #6, providing them the option of a limited -- but renowned -- business program on the undergraduate level.
    To be clear, the HBX program is linked to Harvard Extension School. Harvard College students earn no credit for HES courses or for online courses not offered by Harvard College.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 7,141 Senior Member
    edited August 19
    @compmom :

The Harvard Business School program for undergraduates occurs online during the summer. Students at colleges specifically in agreement with Harvard (Harvard College, Amherst, Hamilton, Williams, Wellesley, Grinnell and Carleton) can receive financial aid as well as enrollment preference. I believe the program for these students -- and others? I'm not sure -- offers interactive aspects (i.e., they can ask questions or be called on). Topics appear to consist of business analytics, economics for managers and financial accounting. An HBS professor explained the program as having “been designed to teach the fundamentals of business to college students and prepare them for the workplace.” The certificate, though not corresponding to traditional credits, could serve as a parallel credential.

All of the above would be to the best of my knowledge of course.
2»