Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2018 US News Best Colleges rankings have been released

Replies to: 2018 US News Best Colleges rankings have been released

• srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Vandy moved up 1!
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,371 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    @whatisyourquest Caltech probably is dinged most on graduation rate. For the most recently reported cohort (entering in 2010) the 4-year grad rate was 81.4% and the 6-year grad rate was 94%.

They have made some changes since 2010 that may improve that, but honestly, Caltech is still very rigorous. And, it is quirky is ways that don't match all students, though they try to be honest about those quirks to find students who fit. In addition, students may take quarters off when they like to work at JPL, Google, etc.

Probably because of the effort to filter out students who don't fit, their yield is about 42.5%, which also is a likely source of USNWR "dinging". (Maybe 44.5% given the stats reports to the incoming Class of 2021.)

(And Caltech moved up 2! Was #12 last year.)
  • Cue7Cue7 Registered User Posts: 2,206 Senior Member
    @whatisyourquest - well, of course, US News wants as many eyeballs on their rankings as possible - so they modulate the rankings to create little talking points (like Chicago being a notch above Stanford).

At the same time, the rankings aren't that far-fetched to lose credibility amongst the general public. That's the macabre genius behind US News. So, one year they might have Duke tied with Yale or Stanford behind Chicago - enough to create talk, but not enough for people to just abandon the rankings.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,730 Senior Member
    @pantha33m Or how about those who chose for instance Midd over Bowdoin last year,(or any other such combination) because Midd was 'ranked' higher, so it must be a 'better' school, only to find out that now that they are actually enrolled there, that the ranking has flipped and the school they turned down is now 'ahead'
  • pupflierpupflier Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    Or how about those who chose for instance Midd over Bowdoin last year,(or any other such combination) because Midd was 'ranked' higher, so it must be a 'better' school, only to find out that now that they are actually enrolled there, that the ranking has flipped and the school they turned down is now 'ahead'

This is what keeps me awake at night. What if the school I get into and choose falls in the rankings? How humiliating would that be? All the virtual taunts my friends will direct at me. IT would be traumatic. And what if if one of my student rivals goes to a school that overtakes the school I go to in the rankings. Oh the way that would burn me up!! All that bragging I was looking forward to, just evaporating!! Life can be so cruel at times :-(
  • 1Tiger211Tiger21 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    USNWR should just make the 1-10 a tie for #1, 11-20 a tie for #2..and so on. They seem to like ties.
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 529 Member
    @Cue7 I agree that subtle changes year-to-year create talk. If USNWR really wants to shake things up and get attention, they should knock Princeton out of the #1 slot. Seven years in a row -- getting really boring.
  • pantha33mpantha33m Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @wisteria100 I'd hate to think that there really are people who make college vs college choices based on USNWR (or other) rankings, but I suppose there are those that do.
  • Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 1,730 Senior Member
    But honestly nothing really changes. The top 10 and top 20 has remained more or less the same for decades now. Changes with the top 10 are done to create buzz, but that hasn't shifted peoples perception that HYPSM is top 5. The only time when USNews make a significant impact on a schools standing is when they put it in a different tier and sustain its new ranking for a long time. For example if JHU were able to sustain its previous year top 10 spot over many many years then the perception might change.
  • GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    @Much2learn The best value is probably the countries least expensive community college. lol

True. If you can make 50k and go to community college and save 250k instead of going to williams to make 50k... you are right. In fact, you'd be 7years ahead of a williams graduate..

Anyway, my point is that they purposely skewed how the did their calculation to punish public schools to obtain their desired result. If they used average cost of attendance for the public schools, that list would be totally different. But they didn't do that. They used OOS tuition for all students which is misleading.