Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

Replies to: Can I get into any college without any Extracurriculars ?

• Hassan ZaidiHassan Zaidi Registered User Posts: 32 New Member
    I will also be moving to Troy michigan
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,052 Senior Member
    "So again which schools can I apply to because my counselor says the good ones I have no chance"

With a 3.74 unweighted GPA, and 1520 SAT you are going to get into very good universities.

I would think that the first place to look is your in-state universities. You should compare your GPA and SAT with averages for incoming students at the UMD campuses. Having no ECs might hurt a little bit, but having 1520 on the SAT is going to help a lot more and will open doors for you.

One issue is the move to Michigan. You need to know when you are moving and figure out which state will consider you to be in-state. This will be quite important because most public universities give very little financial aid to out of state students. You could also consider private universities, but I don't personally know what your chances are of getting need based financial aid for any of the many good schools that will fit your GPA and SAT.
  • harvard_and_berkeleyharvard_and_berkeley Registered User Posts: 1,086 Senior Member
    With no extracurriculars, it is unlikely you will get into a top 25 institution. Fortunately there are hundreds of perfectly solid schools that will give you the opportunity of an excellent education.

Are you considered a resident of Maryland for state tax purposes?

If so, consider University of Maryland. The flagship in College Park is outstanding. The campus in Baltimore County would make a fine safety.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,741 Senior Member
    "Yes. Good grades, test scores, letters of recommendation and essays trump ECs any day."

Not. Not for top 25 private colleges. OP needs to look at his instate publics, as said several times. He may not qualify for the flagships in MD and MI. And it matters what courses got less than A, which of those relate to the possible major.

All the colleges using the Common App agree to be holistic.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    @Hassan Zaidi What do you do outside of school? Anything with your family, community, friends, hobbies, religious...

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-counts-as-an-extracurricular-activity-788878
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,038 Senior Member
    I live in Maryland but money won't be a issue . . . . .My parents make about 35k per year and they said they willing to pay up to 7k per year for college and they have like 10k in savings?

Money WILL BE an issue if you keep saying that you are "low income".
    $7K per year is not enough when the colleges are $30-60K per year. Why do you think it will not be an issue? Do the math.
    Your scores are good but top colleges need more than that. Many public universities will charge you full fees and cannot afford to fund OOS students. You could look at colleges in the south and midwest.
    Try Alabama.

Look in Maryland, then look at the prices of Michigan schools.
    I'm gonna be instate resident for Maryland and My parents decided to stay in maryland.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    @Hassan Zaidi Are you sure that you don't do anything outside of school? You looked at that link?
    Nope. I'm like the kid who go's to school and comes home and does home work and study for tests like everyday
  • Proudmama2Proudmama2 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    For international relations major check out George Washington University. Run the net price calculator to see if it is a financial fit. It may be a good fit for you.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,619 Senior Member
    Your parents are going to stay in Maryland, but you are moving to Michigan. Why? You will have to live in Michigan for a year, not going to college, to qualify for instate tuition. You have very little money for college. You need to look at instate options in Maryland.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,361 Senior Member
    I'm a little confused. On other recent threads you say you're a math major and that you want to go to medical school. Have you changed your plans?
    That was someone else using my account