Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Thoughts on a 2nd Undergraduate Degree

BlissFitBlissFit Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hey!

I am thinking about obtaining a 2nd undergraduate degree in business and I already obtained a biotechnology science degree at the University of Manitoba (U of M). However, MY QUESTION is: Would you get a 2nd undergraduate degree at the same University you got your first?

Reasoning: I really don't think I should get a 2nd degree at the same university that I got my first. I don't know, it's just my mindset. Also, I have a strong interest in Business and not so much in working in laboratories. I'm interested in Pharmacy and some Graduate Studies though (but that would require being competitive with my GPA, which I am not).

Now in terms of possible locations in getting the 2nd undergraduate degree, I was thinking of the University of British Columbia (UBC) or University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM). Are those good choices?

Replies to: Thoughts on a 2nd Undergraduate Degree

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,942 Super Moderator
    Why don't you try to get a master's degree, instead? I would prefer that if I were an employer.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,637 Senior Member
    Some colleges won't even allow it if you already have one. I agree I'd try to go for a master's if you can. Especially in business -- a lot of people do that from other undergrad majors and areas of work.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,278 Senior Member
    edited October 1
    What was your GPA at U of M?

UBC is going to be tougher than U of M, and Toronto is at least as tough and probably tougher than UBC. There are a lot of very good universities in Canada that are somewhere between U of M and UBC (in ranking).

Also, I agree with the comments above that if you can you would probably be better off getting a Master's degree.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,100 Senior Member
    Are you working now? What prospects are there for you to move into a more business-oriented position? What training will your employer pay for? What about picking uo specific business classes that you need/want at a community college?

Even with slightly iffy undergraduate grades, a good track record on the job, and decent GMAT scores can get you into an MBA program. The biotech world desperately needs good people who understand both the science and the business side.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,466 Senior Member
    edited October 1
    Agree, why don't you go for a MBA? There are no prerequisites for a MBA other than an undergraduate degree.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,637 Senior Member
    Some MBA programs prefer you to have taken calculus. I think.
    ^^^FWIW I looked up the minimum requirements to get into Wharton and calculus is not listed. But of course each school will have its own requirements. If many MBA programs do require calculus (or any other course that the OP doesn't have) then he/she should strongly consider enrolling in the class at a local school before applying to grad school.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,617 Senior Member
    Has any one mentioned going for a Masters yet? Because that's what I think you should do.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,942 Super Moderator
    Great minds think alike!
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,081 Senior Member
    With your STEM background and undergrad degree, you'd be in good position for MBA. May have to work first.
  • BlissFitBlissFit Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited October 9
    Oh wow, thanks for the replies! Sorry, I totally forgot that I posted this until now.

Is it possible to get into an MBA program with a BSc. Hons in Biotechnology? My GPA is not competitive (3.2 on a 4.5 scale).

I'm assuming I need to write the GMAT, but what do I need to prepare for the GMAT? Also, what are some things I can do to easily get admitted into an MBA program? Also yes, I do work, but what kind of work would be suitable as "professional work" required for the MBA program?
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,617 Senior Member
    You'll be able to get into an MBA program, though probably not a tippy-top one.

As for work, I'd think any job related to biotech and your degree would be good. Working at a 7-Eleven wouldn't be.
    -- There are GMAT prep books, prep courses etc.

-- You do not need work experience for every MBA program. Research what options are affordable and in your academic range and see what they require.
  • BlissFitBlissFit Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    So UBC and U of T are probably out of the picture? I honestly don't mind getting into U of M for MBA (just not undergrad), but I would like something more of a higher status.

With work, I am trying to find a job in the biotech industry, but it's pretty difficult to find one right now. Also, I work for CAA/AAA (Canadian/American Automobile Association) in one of the branches. Would that be okay? Additionally, I noticed some MBA programs require full-time work experience...would part-time work (as silly of a question as it may be).

Okay, I probably would study it on my own. And yeah, I'll definitely do some research. I was going to drop work and everything to go back to undergrad in Business at UBC, moving away from home. But that might be a bad idea, right?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,100 Senior Member
    Before getting yourself into an MBA program, make sure that it will actually position you well to move into the career you want. The good programs with good connections are going to expect more work experience from you. The ones that are easier to get into won't necessarily expect any work experience at all, but may not have the same kind of track record for job placement.