Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ivy League full price vs UofM in state tuition?

Replies to: Ivy League full price vs UofM in state tuition?

• i012575i012575 Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    Really ? And that too for CS? UMich all the way! Use the money for a top tier MBA education (around $220k in today's dollars) if that is the path you would like to follow.
  • DefensorDefensor Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    edited October 9
    "Columbia and Michigan are not peer universities."

You're right. In both undergrad and grad computer science, Michigan is ranked HIGHER than Columbia - and major corporate recruiters are well aware of that fact.

Since the OP's interest is computer science, and Michigan is ranked higher and would cost tens of thousands of dollars LESS to attend - Michigan is the absolute no-brainer best choice.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 2,698 Senior Member
    edited October 9
    Columbia and UMich are two great schools with great reputations. But they are very different schools that will provide you a very different college experience. UMich draws 100k for a football game; Columbia 1k. Very apples to oranges.

UMich at in-state prices is an outstanding cost/value proposition, especially for engineering. But your parents are willing/able to pay for either. So the cost is the same to you. That's a very fortunate spot to be in.

Life is short. Go where your heart tells you to go. If Columbia is the experience you really really want, then go to Columbia.

Don't get overly hung up about rankings. Columbia comp sci is quite good (ranked about the same as UMich at the grad school level). Neither UMich or Columbia is at the MIT level for comp sci. You can bloom if planted in either place.

You haven't told us enough about what you mean by "grad school" so we have no way of evaluating whether there's value in conserving cash for that. Grad school typically costs little. Professional school (totally different ballgame) is very expensive. If you are talking about non-professional grad school, conserving the college fund by going to UMich most likely means that the money would get used for something other than your post-grad education -- like a college fund for your siblings or your kids or a house down payment.

If you are talking about getting an MBA when you say "grad school", then I'd say save the money and go to a place like Columbia for B school.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member

Coastal bias is rearing it's ugly head here. It will take forever to convince some people that there can be anything valuable in flyover country. Decades ago basketball legend Red Auerbach used to say that "Some people think anything west of the Hudson is camping out." Seems nothing has changed.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 2,636 Senior Member
    Kind of like arguing whether one should buy an Infiniti or a Lexus.

For CS, I'd put Michigan and Columbia into the same tier, and say they have similar reputations. I'd go to Michigan for undergrad, no question, just because of the financial savings.
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,322 Senior Member
    edited October 9
    For CS, I think UMich is better, but if you prefer Columbia, go there. Where is your UMich grad school funding coming from and why would you lose it by going elsewhere for undergrad?
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,260 Senior Member
    You missing the point, there not peers as overall universities. You can always point out areas of concentration that are strengths, after all, the University of Colorado is ranked #1 in the WORLD in molecular physics (because the professor that teaches it is a Nobel laureate in the field). That doesn't make CU the #1 Uni in the world. The undergraduate experience will be quite different for an undergrad at Columbia then at UMich. The cohort at Columbia will ALL be top notch. Columbia has a breadth of quality across many disciplines, not just a few. Seriously if you wanted to do just CS, do a boot camp and you'll probably learn more about programming that is useful to the field than 4 years at Columbia or UMich, or course, what you'll lack is an education, and Columbia will get you a better overall education by a good margin. We won't go into class sizes, state legislature dictating tuition etc., and lack of funding for publics, so IMO they are not peers. The top privates are simply in a different class.
    edited October 9
    No, you're missing the point. I've seen across-the-board rankings, & it was something like 1. Harvard 2. Toronto and Michigan was real close after that. Michigan is not a one-trick pony, nor [condescendingly] good for a public (sneer) school. It's one of the top universities in the world, PERIOD.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,034 Senior Member
    CU123:
    You obviously are clueless about Michigan.
    edited October 9
    Hmmmm I see USNWR as UMich #27 and Columbia #5 I guess that makes them peers.....only behind UCB, UVA and UCLA for top publics.
    Oh, I'm sorry. If it's in NYC it MUST be the best, right?
    I like UMich alumni, they are passionate about there alma mater. Again I don't care about location its about the issues that public schools have to deal with that privates don't. Like I said earlier, for this OP, UMich is the right choice.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,034 Senior Member
    edited October 9
    CU123:

it certainly is not Colorado. For you to cite USNWR rankings as if they were the gospel, just shows you how truly clueless you are.
    edited October 9
    Not gospel, but I do feel that the methodology they use is fairly well thought out as opposed to others.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,306 Senior Member
    @alexandre "Columbia would not have hired Michigan's president if the two universities were not peers."

Which is why Harvard President Drew Faust is a Penn Phd. and Penn President Amy Gutmann is a Harvard Phd. :)