Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

(Electrical Engineering) Please take a look at my college list

Replies to: (Electrical Engineering) Please take a look at my college list

• PengsPhilsPengsPhils Registered User Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    Not sure what @collegehelp is talking about saying that OP's credentials are too good for Northeastern, where the OP is near middle 50% for both SAT and GPA. OP also can't apply to exclusively reach schools, which most of these schools are for engineering. Your list looks fine as is. 10 schools is a good number.
  • i012575i012575 Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    @sevmom, not surprised at all if OP does not want to apply to Pitt and Penn State. My D2 went to a PA high school where majority of the folks attend Penn State. Also, she did not apply to CMU as her older sister attends Pitt ;-) She is at GTech now.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    I'd look at Caltech and RPI. You know the specifics of what you're looking for, and this might not be it, but these two have very good EE programs.
  • Engineer551Engineer551 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Thank you all!
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    is my gpa too low compared to the average for RPI to get accepted? @gardenstategal
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    I would think it's fine, especially backed up with your scores.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,456 Senior Member
    I would give serious thought before I passed up the opportunities at Pitt for Texas A&M. At A&M, you are admitted to engineering and then have to re-apply to your specific major. TAMU engineering has some *major* problems right now with their new growth initiative called "25 by 25" in which they are trying to cram 25,000 undergrads into the school of engineering by the year 2025. They are building a new engineering building but it it is not ready yet. They have also not kept up with the hiring of profs and there are lots of issues with the quality of the classes, the complete indifference of the profs and the sub-par advising. Go on reddit and read the strings of posts under the TAMU forum.

University of Texas is a great school but you need to understand up front how admissions to engineering. You are admitted to your *specific* major and the ability to switch to another one is really limited. We personally know two students who wanted to switch to another branch of engineering before the first year was even up and they were denied. So they graduated with a degree in a field they didn't even want. Also, admissions to UT engineering is crazy competitive with very few OOS spots given.

Pitt admits you to general engineering and they sincerely spend a year making you learn about all of the different types of engineering, the details of what that field looks like, etc. Then you get to choose your major. That is a huge difference from the scenarios I typed out above.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,456 Senior Member
    @collegehelp ---credentials "too good" for Pitt and Penn state? Pitt's engineering department is *full* of 1500/33+ kids. Seriously.....i would say the OPs stats put him/her right in the middle of the pack there for engineering.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,066 Senior Member
    And I was a 4.0 UW / 4.5 W / 2330 old SAT kid and ended up at Penn State. High stats people go to all kinds of places.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,523 Senior Member
    When you say that your SAT cr + w = 710, do you mean that they are each 710 or that they total 710?
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Registered User Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    @collegehelp The new SAT merged CR and W. They are one section out of 800.
    Yes, its combined for 710 and 800 math so 1510 total.

Applying to Pitt would sound attractive to me if I was able to get a good deal on it with merit aid and in-state tuition. I am not sure how hiring works, but if I had to get a job near PA after living there, I wouldn't want to go to Pitt, because even though it is a good school, I would rather go somewhere else if you can understand what I'm trying to say.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,176 Senior Member
    What characteristics of "somewhere else" are you looking for?

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that you may want to check if any of your schools has a secondary admission process to get into your desired major, and how competitive that secondary admission process is. For example, Purdue, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, and Penn State all admit to first year pre-engineering; declaration of major later depends on college GPA and may be competitive for more popular majors.
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Academics/FirstYear/T2M
    https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major
    https://enge.vt.edu/undergraduate/Undergraduate_changing_major.html
    https://advising.psu.edu/entrance-major-requirements-college-engineering

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, allows pre-engineering students to declare an engineering major with a 2.0 GPA:
    http://www.engineering.pitt.edu/First-Year/First-Year/Advising/Choosing-a-Major/

At some schools, like UIUC, you apply to the major. Some of these schools may offer some applicants admission to the school but not the major, but changing into the major after enrolling as an undeclared student may be very difficult or competitive.
    I've always lived in a relatively quiet part of PA, so I'd be looking to go somewhere more urban or close to more attractions. I've seen these secondary admissions processes, and if there is more competition after being admitted to pre-engineering it sounds less desirable, but if no one wanted to do it then no one would ever get accepted. That being said, the programs with lots of competition for majors even after being accepted might have to be reconsidered.