Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Rank these universities from best to worst for business

opivtesopivtes Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hey guys, I'm currently picking my exchange preferences. I'm coming from Australia. I plan on going for a semester. Other than simply looking at online rankings, I'm wondering if you guys would be able to offer some insight/rank my preferences in regards to what be considered the most reputable on my CV for business (finance major)?

Cornell (Industrial and Labour Relations), University of Texas Austin (McCombs Business School), University of Toronto (Rotman Commerce), Manchester Business School, University of Illinois Urbana, and Penn State

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies to: Rank these universities from best to worst for business

• opivtesopivtes Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited October 12
    Here they are in a list so it's easier to read:
    - Cornell (Industrial and Labour Relations)
    - University of Texas Austin (McCombs Business School)
    - University of Toronto (Rotman Commerce)
    - Manchester Business School
    - University of Illinois Urbana
    - Penn State
    And also any insight into the social aspects of these universities for somebody who will only be 20 when they're there (i.e. can't legally drink at the US universities)
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    You need more information than just rankings to make a decision.

For example, more than 90 percent of UIUC grads work in Chicago after graduating, and their strongest major is accounting. If you want to work in a big city for an accounting or consulting firm, UIUC is a great choice. For other career goals, it might be a poor choice.
    edited October 12
    Hence why i'm asking for more insight. I've seen all the online rankings, but thought i'd hear actual people's opinions.

I simply want to know what people think the most internationally reputable unis are in the field of finance
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 7,151 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Can your list really be compared homogeneously since you've applied, it appears, to different types of schools within these universities? That said, Cornell ILR would seem to offer you a unique and excellent educational opportunity that might truly distinguish this choice from the others on your list as well as from your home school in Australia. As a straight business/finance option, UT-A would certainly be solid though.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    Cornell will look the most prestigious if that is what your looking for. the others are all good but Cornell will probably look best on your CV. Also your not graduating from any of these schools so saying you spent a semester at an Ivy League school is probably your best bet. Not that going to any of these schools for a semester will mean much.
    Noted. The schools within the uni to which I've applied are not by choice. My Uni only has ILR at Cornell as an exchange partner (can't do AEM subjects). Fair enough though. Can see why Cornell would probably be the best for exchange. Cheers.

Also, if anyone has any insight on Georgetown Uni business school, would appreciate it. I've read it's one of the best business schools in the US, but when I looking at online rankings, it's never even ranked in the top 150 universities globally (yes, im aware that these rankings are not to be taken too seriously), but I'm just curious why it's ranked so low if so many people on this forum put it on the same level as Berkeley and U of Michigan, etc.

Nonetheless, thanks for the responses. I'll prioritise Cornell ILR as first pref
    edited October 13
    Regarding global type rankings, they seem to measure volume, but not concentration. Personally, I ignore them when discussing undergraduate college selection. With respect to Georgetown specifically, you can be assured that the school attracts some of the most academically prepared students in the U.S.:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-smartest-colleges-in-america-2016-10/#46-middlebury-college-average-sat-1379-6
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    Quality of business:
    1. Cornell & Toronto
    2. Texas & Illinois
    3. Penn State & Manchester

Quality of life for 20 yr old:
    1. Toronto
    2. Texas
    3. Manchester
    4.Penn State
    5. Cornell
    6. Illinois
    Ithaca appears here as the best college town in the entire U.S.:

https://www.aier.org/cdi-top-20-college-towns-1-ithaca-ny
    Thanks for that list moooop.

Ithaca seems like a genuinely beautiful place, and I can see why a college town in such an isolated place like that would actually be an amazing experience. But is underage drinking a problem, or is it a safe bet to assume there'll be many parties with potential opportunities. Drinking underage at house parties is common in Australia, but have heard conflicting things about the US.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    Merc, that article could also have the title "A Bunch of Towns that are Rarely Considered Great College Towns."