Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Thomas Edison State College

kaos2mekaos2me Posts: 6Registered User New Member
Has anyone been to TESC? Does anyone have a degree from there? How is it looked upon by the business world? Is a degree from there the same as a degree from U. of Phoenix, for example?

I am looking for a bricks and mortar college that accepts federal financial aid to obtain a bachelor's degree online from. This seems to fit the bill except I am unsure of the bricks and mortar status.

I understand that TESC has a campus but it appears that it is for admin purposes only.

Replies to: Thomas Edison State College

• TodLeeTodLee Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    TESC is one of the "Big Three": the others being Excelsior (in NY - same people that accredit Cornell and
    Columbia) and Charter Oak State College (CT - accredited by the same people that accredit Yale).

TESC is a state uni, and is accredited by the same regional board that accredits Princeton.

The Big Three came about in the 1970s as a response to the open uni movement and "college without walls".

It's perfectly respectable and employers will take your degree from there just fine. You may not impress investment bankers, but it works fine for general business, government and grad schools.

I would prefer it over Phoenix; TESC is a state school and Phoenix is a profit-generating school that preys on people too ignorant to attend their cheaper state/non-profit unis.

Financial aid has changed to not require bricks/mortar schools. Now you can do it all online at places like no campus like Western Governors University (which the governors of several western states set up).

TESC has a fine track record and has been around for decades. It is perfect for someone who is willing to do their degree quickly and move on to grad school or a job which requires the degree.

TESC and the other Big Three require you demonstrate mastery of the subject. They just don't require you park your butt in a chair to do so. If you learned it from a previous job, through your Great Books group at the library, or your own autodidacticism, they don't care. Knowledge is knowledge.

Parents - if you want to save bux look carefully at doing degrees like this.
  • TodLeeTodLee Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Also many homeschoolers use TESC to satisfy high school requirements but earn a college degree at the same time. There's a Yahoo group showing how to do just that.
  • skieuropeskieurope Posts: 5,111Super Moderator Senior Member
    This thread is 8 years old. Closing.
This discussion has been closed.