Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Moderate colleges?

WhatsYourMajor?WhatsYourMajor? Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2006 in College Search & Selection
In the "All-In-One College Guide", Marty Nemko defines liberal and conservative colleges. He then recommends that moderate schools may be best for students who don't lean toward either extreme, from a values standpoint.

Unfortunately, "moderate" is not a search field on any engine, so can anyone recommend some "moderate" colleges that come to mind and explain why?
Post edited by WhatsYourMajor? on

Replies to: Moderate colleges?

• slipper1234slipper1234 Posts: 9,085Registered User Senior Member
    In what range (i.e. Ivies or all the top 100?)
  • dwinchodwincho Posts: 575Registered User Member
    This is academia, most institutions are liberal or moderate tilting to the left. I would say Dartmouth, Davidson, Northwestern, Notre Dame are some of the moderate schools.
  • par72par72 Posts: 3,994Registered User Senior Member
    Duke, Dartmouth, Princeton, ND, USC, Rice, Vandy. LAC'S-Davidson, Holy Cross, Colgate, Bowdoin.
  • FutureProfFutureProf Posts: 158Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think it's so prevalent at bigger schools that it would really matter if a school is slightly liberal or slightly conservative, but that it would matter more for small schools or those that lean really far in one direction.
  • WhatsYourMajor?WhatsYourMajor? Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
    I'm mostly interested in national universities and colleges, not necessarily "the top". I suppose that being "national," in and of itself, implies "moderate". Likewise, the "public" classification.