Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are the best colleges for MATH?

ramirami Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in College Search & Selection
What are the best colleges for math?
Post edited by rami on

Replies to: What are the best colleges for MATH?

• COamherst09COamherst09 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    MIT, Princeton, Harvard, UChicago...
  • bowtoserenitybowtoserenity Posts: 398Registered User Member
    Harvey Mudd
  • hikkifanhikkifan Posts: 338Registered User Member
    Depending what type of student you are, among the top tier schools I suggest MIT (I'm going there :) ) and Caltech if you want something smaller.

Berkeley is great,too.

Texas A&M has a top math program without the selectiveness.

Georgia Tech also.
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Posts: 15,373Registered User Senior Member
    are we talking applied math? Or theoretical math? Any tech school is going to be good. Sorry, I can't really be of much help
  • SchwabySchwaby Posts: 875Registered User Member
    The best?

Harvard, Princeton, and MIT
  • CotoDeCasaCotoDeCasa Posts: 276Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA , Berkeley, Princeton, MIT,Caltech
  • neobezneobez Posts: 801Registered User Member
    Duke is also pretty good, if I recall correctly. UChicago as well.
    For less selective standards, RIT, Rennelssaer (for the life of me I can't spell it right)polytechnic, and UC Santa Cruz.
  • carolyncarolyn Posts: 7,435Registered User Senior Member
    A few other suggestions: Brandeis, Bucknell, St. Olaf, GEorgia Tech, Duke, Kenyon, Occidental, Pomona.
  • ohnoesohnoes Posts: 1,130. Senior Member
    NYU is supposed to have an excellent math department as well, and isn't quite as hard to get in to as MIT/Harvard/Princeton.
  • Maize&BlueMaize&Blue Posts: 636Registered User Member
    If you're interested in where PhD's in math went for undergrad (per capita), check out: http://web.reed.edu/ir/phd.html.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
    Oh, good, another thread about math schools. Keep it coming.

Aside to Hikkifan: are you a fan of Utada Hikaru, the Japanese singer? Is that what your screen name means?
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,346CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    The top five schools are MIT, Princeton, Berkley, UChicago, and Harvard, in no specific order. The admissions lady at MIT told me that, basically, you will get the same education in math no matter which of these 5 you go to - they're all the same level of prestige in the math world, and looking at grad school, etc. So pick whichever one fits your personality best.

For public schools, I know Wisconsin - Madison is in the top 10 and Minnesota - Twin Cities is ranked I think 14. If I can find my rankings sheet I'll confirm that, but I know that they're up there.
  • randomperson123randomperson123 Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    The best colleges for math...Texas A&M, MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago, CalTech, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan
    tokenadult, YES! That is exactly correct. I am a huge fan of Utada (her new u.s. debut name and surname), but I prefer calling her by her nickname Hikki, a diminuitive form of her real name Hikaru.

Are you also a Hikki fan?