Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

cornell or unc

hinvestorphinvestorp Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2007 in College Search & Selection
cornell aem vs unc Kenan-Flagler ?
can you guys compare in terms of :
overall "college experience"(non academic)
recruiting
getting into MBA programs afterwards?
Post edited by hinvestorp on

Replies to: cornell or unc

• yazzzyazzz Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
    Recruiting, both are surprisingly not too good compared to other top ten programs, I believe even Fordham has better recruiting and starting salaries than those two. That just goes to show you location is everything! As for MBA programs, that is mostly determined by your work experience, or if you hope to attend you alma mater. I would highly suggest attending Columbia if possible, ideal location NYC, prestige, and a top MBA program.
  • hinvestorphinvestorp Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
  • r1400schr1400sch Posts: 286Registered User Junior Member
    If you are talking about the Ivy league Cornell, then Cornell AEM @ CALS will set u up for what you want. I don't know much about UNC, but Cornell is a top school academically and in terms of prestige. These lead to you getting hooked up with any grad schools/carreers you want. If you're an in-stater, I might call you nutz to chose the other over cornell.

As for college experience, @ Cornell I know the school spirit is sky high. The U is in Ithaca and is surrounded by a nice collegetown. Very beautiful gourges run through the campus.

If you want prestige, academics, and enjoy the outdoors, I'd tell you to go to cornell. Of course, im very bias...but you might wanna check out the Cornell U forum on these boards.
  • jackjack Posts: 1,615- Senior Member
    hinvestorp: You might want to check out this link:
    http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/MB_06_Scoreboard.pdf
    From the Wall Street Journal/Harris interactive survey of corporate recruiters on business schools. UNC's Kenan-Flagler is nationally ranked #8 (moved up from #9 in this same survey, 2005). Cornell is ranked #16 in this survey.
    (Fordham is not listed in the top 20 on this survey.)

"This ranking is based on how recruiters rated each school on 21 attri-
    butes, their future plans to recruit at the school, and the number of
    survey respondents who said they had recruited recently at the school.
    These schools enjoy a national reputation and tend to draw recruiters
    from many of the same companies, usually large national and multina-
    tional firms that pay high starting salaries."
    So it appears the 2nd poster doesn't know much about what recruiters are thinking.

I know nothing about Cornell, but UNC and Kenan-Flagler are both excellent, and Chapel Hill is a great place to live (great town; great weather; near Research Triangle Park). I do think that UNC is terrific academically, and also is a great all around "college experience."

http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/News/DetailsNewsPage.cfm?id=3107%20
  • hinvestorphinvestorp Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
    r1400sch - i'm kinda surprised by your post because i had read alot about unc being one of the best campuses in the nation, and in terms of school spirit...well i've seen tarheel games. i'm planning to visit the campuses in april so i'll have a better idea of the exact setting but one thing that favors unc is the wehther. i mean i live in ct and i hate the winter. last week it was like 70 degrees and then we get 8 inches of snow...seriously *** lol

jack, i just looked at the link there, but i'm pretty sure those are graduate school rankings. if you look at cornell its the johnson school of business which is not available to undergrads. i was looking at more AEM.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,741Super Moderator Senior Member
    1. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) 4.8
    2. MIT (Sloan) 4.6
    3. University of California-Berkeley (Haas)* 4.5
    =University of Michigan-Ann Arbor* 4.5
    5. New York University (Stern) 4.3
    =UNC Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)* 4.3
    =University of Texas-Austin (McCombs)* 4.3
    8. Carnegie Mellon University (PA) 4.2
    9. University of Southern California (Marshall) 4.1
    =University of Virginia (McIntire)* 4.1
    11. Cornell University (NY) 4.0
    =Indiana University-Bloomington (Kelley)* 4.0
    13. Emory University (Goizueta) (GA) 3.9
    =University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign* 3.9
    =University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (Carlson)* 3.9
    =University of Wisconsin-Madison* 3.9
    =Washington University in St. Louis (Olin) 3.9

I don't really like US News rankings, but at least it indicates that UNC is not inferior to Cornell in undergraduate business.
  • jackjack Posts: 1,615- Senior Member
    hinvestorp: Sorry. Nevertheless, why anybody would think that recruiters don't recruit from Kenan-Flagler is beyond me. Thanks, warblersrule, for the undergraduate rankings here.
    Also, in terms of "location" -- yes, the weather is great; UNC's campus and Chapel Hill are beautiful; students are really happy there; I think it has a great mix of strong academics and school spirit (thanks in large part to the basketball team!); and in terms of jobs/recruitment, the location right near Research Triangle Park seems useful to me. http://www.rtp.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&filename=job_opportunities.html