Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Universities with a LAC feel

09xoxo09xoxo Posts: 652Registered User Member
edited March 2007 in College Search & Selection
Yeah, so I'm looking for somewhat selective universities with a LAC feel (no, really?), or just large-sized LACs (oxymoron much?). Lately, I have fallen in love with Princeton, with it's beautiful campus and small college feel, but hey, everyone needs matches and safeties.
Post edited by 09xoxo on

Replies to: Universities with a LAC feel

• ohh miss zannaohh miss zanna Posts: 2,866Registered User Senior Member
    Even though Rice is very strong in the sciences, I'd say they have an LAC feel.
  • Luxar3000Luxar3000 Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Emory brands itself as such a university, but I've never attended so I only have anecdotal evidence to the affirmative.
  • amykinsamykins Posts: 443Registered User Member
    I always think of University of Chicago in this way-- 4400 ugrad, 9000 grad, all professors teach ugrad classes, focus on discussion-based classes.

And, oh yeah, there's a major hospital right here, more research opportunities than there are students to fill them, and a business school and a law school right by campus.
  • kmasskmass Posts: 259Registered User Junior Member
    College of William and Mary would definitely fit what you're asking.

So would UC Santa Cruz i would think
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Posts: 5,347Registered User Senior Member
    Rice University
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 4,924Registered User Senior Member
    Emory definietely has that "LAC" feel
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    Duke, Dartmouth, Columbia, Chicago, WashU, Brown, Rice, Emory, Tufts, Wake, W&M, Brandeis, Rochester, Case, Pepperdine, SMU, Tulsa, Clark, U of Denver, TCU, U of San Diego (those are just a few going down the US News top tier list)

Larger LAC options: Wesleyan, Colgate, Oberlin, Bucknell, Holy Cross, St. Olaf, Richmond, Union
  • Just_BrowsingJust_Browsing Posts: 661Registered User Member
    Brandeis has about 3,000 undergrad.

A LAC that's a bit like a university might be one of the Claremont Colleges, its five LAC's all on the same campus; which is a bit closer to a university.
  • MADadMADad Posts: 1,254Registered User Senior Member
    University of Rochester.
    4000 undergrads
    Most grad students are off campus at the hospital complex, or at the Eastman school downtown.
  • huskem55huskem55 Posts: 4,284User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    (columbia definitely does not fall into this category)

Tufts and Brown are two of the most cited examples
  • swish14swish14 Posts: 1,325Registered User Senior Member
    William and Mary/Rice/Claremont colleges/Wake Forest all have the best of both worlds of undergrad focus without the suffocatingly, small "everyone knows my business" environment that some LACs have.
  • willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Posts: 3,344Registered User Senior Member
    Wake Forest University for sure
  • lolabellelolabelle Posts: 2,293Registered User Senior Member
    I second Huskem's statement that Tufts and Brown are the best examples of LAC-feel universities. Best of both worlds!
  • gellinogellino Posts: 3,017Registered User Senior Member
    Dartmouth is probably the best example size and feel wise. Princeton certainly has UG feel with none of the main three pre-professional programs, although it does have PhD programs in most major areas of study.
  • betterday55betterday55 Posts: 1,465Registered User Senior Member
    what about Carnegie Mellon?