Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best colleges for math and economics

kate25kate25 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
I want to double major in math and economics in college. I was wondering which schools besides Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and U-Chicago are good for that combination?
Post edited by kate25 on

Replies to: Best colleges for math and economics

• kimfugekimfuge Posts: 835Registered User Member
    Stanford and Yale
  • Columbia2011Columbia2011 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Yale Economics isn't that great (sister was a Econ major)

You may want to consider Columbia and Berkeley (the latter especially if you don't mind perceived decrease in prestige compared to the other names mentioned here)

Berkeley would be amazing for Econ-Math double major, mad hard tho!
  • kate25kate25 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    I am planning to apply to Stanford, but not Yale.

Currently my list is:
    Harvard
    MIT
    Princeton
    U-Chicago
    Stanford
    Caltech

I'm probably going to apply to at least two more schools.

What do you think about Caltech?
    Caltech is a big no-no for economics...

and i hope you have some safety schools on that list.

btw: i turned down Caltech for Columbia because Caltech isn't even close to a traditional college experience
  • kimfugekimfuge Posts: 835Registered User Member
    Columbia, Yale is stronger than Columbia in both math and economics. If he should consider Columbia, he then should consider Yale also.
  • wbwawbwa Posts: 397Registered User Member
    If interest is primarily econ consider adding Northwestern/Penn/Columbia
    If interest is more math based consider Cornell/Yale
    Along with CalTech, might also want to consider nearby Harvey Mudd (with access to Econ at Claremont McK and Pomona via 5 college consortium)

Decision at this high level may ultimately come down to campus culture/non-academic issues
    Columbia's economics department in the 60's was part of the Big 5-- Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Princeton and fell out subsequently. In the past 5 years, Columbia has won 3 Nobel Prizes in Economics and two other Nobels in Literature and Medicine respectively. I don't think Yale has done so.

But you're right. The difference is so negligible that if both should definitely be considered. Yale does have much more of a humanities trend than Columbia though.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,430Super Moderator Senior Member
    Most top universities are good in both Econ and Math. Those are traditional majors that all universities must offer. At any rate, universities that are excellent in both Econ and Math include:

Brown University
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Duke University
    Harvard University
    Johns Hopkins University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    New York University
    Northwestern University
    Princeton University
    Stanford University
    University of California-Berkeley
    University of California-Los Angeles
    University of California-San Diego
    University of Chicago
    University of Maryland-College Park
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    University of Minnesota-Chapel Hill
    University of Pennsylvania
    University of Texas-Austin
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Yale University

Of course, many LACs are also excellent in those two subjects. Off the top of my head:

Amherst College
    Brandeis University
    Carleton College
    Claremont McKenna College
    Colby College
    Colgate University
    College of William and Mary
    Dartmouth College
    Davidson College
    Denison University
    Haverford College
    Macalester College
    Middlebury College
    Oberlin College
    Pomona College
    Reed College
    Swarthmore College
    Vassar College
    Wesleyan University
    Williams College
  • cghencghen Posts: 613Registered User Member
    Caltech is a big no-no for economics...
    Only if you want to go into business. If you want to go into Econ grad school, Caltech will provide a rigorous preparation that few schools can match.
  • SeikenSeiken Posts: 1,091Registered User Senior Member
    My personal pick would be the Claremont Colleges- Math Major at Harvey Mudd and also do an offcampus major in economics at CMC or something.
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Posts: 4,167Registered User Senior Member
    Are the Claremont colleges really the first that come to mind when thinking about dual majoring in Math and Econ? That doesn't make much sense.
    Its excessively complicated to go to Harvey Mudd and have a dual major at CMC - especially when the following schools are better for Math/Econ and are well-known to the finance sector.

Rest of the Ivies - in particular Penn, Columbia, Dartmouth
    Stanford, MIT, Duke, Northwestern, Chicago, NYU, Michigan
    Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore

I would recommend NU, Duke, Dartmouth, Penn, and Columbia - all these schools have great college experiences, are highly recruited at, have strong student bodies in every measurable way, and are very well-known/respected nationally.

HMC is a great school but I feel having a student body of 150 per year is socially stiffling, and in terms of overall strength its still not on par with the rest of the Ivies and similar elite schools. Plus it doesn't have a traditional econ major on location.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Posts: 9,449Registered User Senior Member
    Check out Northwestern's Mathematical Methods in the Social Sciences (MMSS), which is highly regarded by top firms (http://www.mmss.northwestern.edu/current_students/Internship%20Directory.pdf), compliments econ major perfectly, and automatically fulfills the prereqs for the new finanical economics certificate program under Kellogg.
    http://www.mmss.northwestern.edu/
    http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/certificate/prospective/finance/prerequisites.htm
  • naurunauru Posts: 1,158Registered User Senior Member
    For math you can go lots of places and have excellent education. For economics though I would take Columbia over Yale any day. They are both excellent schools, but Columbia has Jeffrey Sachs, Joseph Stiglitz and Edmund Phelps on staff, which is frickin unbelievable.

If you don't know what the big deal is, google those three.
  • rocketDArocketDA Posts: 1,565Registered User Senior Member
    "Its excessively complicated to go to Harvey Mudd and have a dual major at CMC - especially when the following schools are better for Math/Econ and are well-known to the finance sector."

Math at HMC is one of the best programs in the nation. Look at Putnam, MCM, PhD #'s and then remember that there are only a small number of students in the pool to pull from for those competitions. Mudd math holds its weight.

CMC has quite an excellent econ program...considering the school is primarily government and economics, I'd say it is a great place for that type of stuff...

Claremont should be on the list considering the two previously mentioned schools are part of the 5Cs.
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Posts: 4,167Registered User Senior Member
    rocketDA, if someone explicitly states they want to dual major in Math and Econ, I just think its surprising that someone would mention one of the few schools that doesn't have both majors. I guess Math is one of their best programs in the nation, but I don't see how Putnam results show anything - after all, Putnam reflects the results of a few geniuses. Regardless, Harvey Mudd wasn't top 10 out of the school teams. Still a great school, just a little small for me, and of course you can't major in both econ and math.