Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Taking all advice - for non-Ivy bound daughter

BluelaserBluelaser Posts: 24Registered User New Member
edited September 2007 in College Search & Selection
Iwould welcome any advice I can get.

17 yo daughter is avg to just-above average. Wants to go our of state, from Mass., but not too far out of state. Thinks she is interested in"Media Production", but I want to send her to a school with a strong liberal arts curriculum as well. And of course like everyone else, I would like to find that gem of a school that can be had for $20K or less per year.

We are coming up with her list of 6-7 schools as we speak, and using all of what I think are the right tools - US News, Kiplinger, Princeton, StudentReviews, **************, etc. But I do not think I can afford to leave (re)source untapped, and so would enjoy very much hearing about any underrated schools that might have good value for the money in "media production", or other resources you know of.

"Media Production" also be called "communication" in some schools, journalism, in others, or Video / Film in other schools...

Thanks in adv from a New member!

BlueLaser
Post edited by Bluelaser on

Replies to: Taking all advice - for non-Ivy bound daughter

• HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Posts: 4,699Registered User Senior Member
    Have you tried the MatchMaker on Collegeboard? It's decent...makes a few mistakes as with any other thing like that, but it does a pretty good job.
  • mtngoat1mtngoat1 Posts: 386Registered User Member
    Emerson College would be PERFECT for her. It's above 20k but it's not ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately their financial aid isn't the best, but it sounds like the perfect school for her.
  • midwesternermidwesterner Posts: 1,920Registered User Senior Member
    Check out the thread entitled,"Brag about your "lesser known" school!" on Parents' Forum. But I hope you can be flexible about the out-of-state costs; an under-$20,000 school is a rare bird.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    What schools are on her list so far?
  • teriwttteriwtt Posts: 9,465Super Moderator Senior Member
    mtngoat1 - Emerson was the first that crossed my mind, but the OP said D wants to go out of state. They already live in the Boston area.
  • BluelaserBluelaser Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Here are the colleges that we are working - and re-working - I woud enjoyhearing your feedback:

Quinnipiac University
    Arizona State University
    Emerson College
    Syracuse University
    SUNY Plattsburgh
    SUNY-Oneonta
    Florida State University
    University of Michigan
    Miami University of Ohio
    Ohio University
    University of Connecticut
    University of Missouri—Columbia

Both SUNY Plattsburgh and Oneonta have "media production" programs - but I am completely in the dark about how these two different campuses (and programs?) compare.....

So I think we have a mix of more slective to selctive schools.

I would say we are int every early stages of looking at what their media production programs are all about.

And thanks to all for your very quick responses!!
    Much apppreciated.

BlueLaser
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    I like your list. Did you look at Rochester Institute of Technology? http://www.rit.edu/~animate/newmedia.htm

I'm partial to Miami and OU.

Personally I think Plattsbugh is a better school than Oneonta. If you aren't even from NY state I'm not sure I'd look at either one (well, except maybe Plattsburgh - maybe I can see that).
  • mtngoat1mtngoat1 Posts: 386Registered User Member
    Oh, sorry, thought it said in-state for some reason. Oh well, Emerson sounds like the perfect school for what she's looking for.
  • BluelaserBluelaser Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    I appreciate all of your feedback. I will definitely check the collegeBoard site...and the other sites that were referenced.

Nothing beats some feedback from a few other sets of eyes...
  • huskem55huskem55 Posts: 4,284User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    could get serious merit money at University of Hartford
    Ithaca could be another good option
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom Posts: 13,158- Senior Member
    http://www.ctcl.com/

colleges that change lives
  • GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Posts: 889Registered User Member
    Bluelaser: there is a BIG difference between a communications and media production. The former is more academic, the latter is vocational.

USC probably has the best mix of both, but probably too far away from home for you. Penn is similar, except more on the academic side. Penn is a ivy, so admission there are the usual insanity. Michigan is good, it is already on your list, depending on what you mean that your daughter is an average student, it may or may not be a reach. Syracuse, as far as I can tell, is more academically oriented, city is also not exactly a hotbed of media activity. Penn State is supposed to have a good COMS program that is vocational. Emerson is supposedly snooty, don't have direct experience, this is just what people on **** say, so take it with a rock of salt. Upside is the location, downside is location (complete lack of a campus). NYU is a natural for media production, but the price tag is outside what you describe, and they do not promise to meet 100% of demonstrated need.

You might want to consider the following. When you ask around, many people consider COMS to be a "fluff major", full of "sororstitutes who want to be the next Amanda on Sex and the City" (these are quotes, don't flame me). Given that media production is a vocation, not an education, you may want to just look for a good liberal arts school near a major media center (for you Boston, NY, Philly, possibly DC), where your D can intern actively and get the vocational training that way, while also getting a general education in the process.

Finally, I think that MatchMaker on CB is pretty rudimentary, I have found the results from Princeton Review quite more relevant:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/advsearch/match.asp
  • GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Posts: 889Registered User Member
    http://www.ctcl.com/

colleges that change lives

I found that book quite pretentious, full of grand statements but very little substantive information and facts to back up the claims. I fully agree that almost any school is capable of providing a better education than the ivies, which are famous for the research they produce, not for the education they provide.
  • kimfredkimfred Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Groovygreek,

What a wonderful summarizing statement i.e. ivy schools.
  • kimfredkimfred Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Groovygeek . . . sorry about previous post - bad fingers this am and not proofing!!! I'm guessing there is a world of difference between a groovygeek (sounds like my son) and a groovygreek (which he is hoping to avoid!)