College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
For the sake of parents and friends who want to know, I'd like to ask the knowledgable people in this forum as to their opinion of what colleges in this country are most culturally liberal and most culturally conservative.
To help you in your list, I'd like to give some idea behind the words -- liberal and conservative.
These presentation are not exhaustive but will give you an idea of what I ahve in mind....
Colleges that are liberal have the majority of faculties and students who tend to favor the following view(s) :
* Government should correct economic deficiencies caused by an unregulated free market economy
* Public education could be improved by sepnding more money on failing districts and schools.
* If you do drugs, it's your business.
* Abortion should be completely legal and available.
* Government should strictly regulate the use and ownership of guns. Owning guns is dangerous and sketchy. Stricter control of the sale of guns will curb violent crime most.
* Social Security is a safety net and can be fixed by making the rich pay more.
* Taxes are something the rich should pay more of. They can afford it.
* Homosexuality is who you are and the lifestyle should be celebrated rather than looked on as an aberration. Gay Marriage should be legal.
* Tend to favor affirmative action for targeted minorities.
* Tend to believe that government should enforce strict environmental regulations regardless of its effect on business.
* It's more important for our government to help the poor and helpless.
* Everyone has a right to health care, even if they can't afford it.
* Military action that defies international consensus such as the United Nations is not justified.
* The death penalty is a violation of human rights.
* Leaders of countries have the right to be heard in a college forum, even when they support terrorists or are genocidal.
* Generally tend to trust government's ability to solve problems. Which means the federal government should do more to solve the nation's problems even if it means higher taxes.
* See FDR as the better 20th century president than Ronald Reagan.
* Are more disturbed by the opinions of those of the Rev. Pat Robertson than (former) Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders then
* Prefer Justices like Ruth Baden Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer over Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.
* The religious right is a threat to our political system.
* As a society, we should spend more money trying to find a cure for AIDS than for cancer and heart disease because AIDS threatens younger people.
* Gender integrated living in college should be encouraged.
* Right and wrong are a matter of personal opinion. One man's meat is another man's poison. All cultures have their own innate superiority and no one culture is superior over others.
Colleges that are culturally conservative tend to have faculty and students who believe that :
* Individual freedoms and property rights are representative of attendant moral, religious, political, and civil rights.
* In accordance with the Constitution, the federal government is limited to acting in those areas wherein the states themselves do not have that ability, in inter-state matters and in foreign relations.
* There is great importance placed on separation of powers, judicial review, and states' rights as opposed to federal power.
* Gay marriage should not be legal. Marriage is between a man and a woman.
* Public education could be improved by having a voucher system or keeping the Federal government out of education.
* If you do drugs, you should be punished.
* Affirmative Action is unfair, outdated, and hurts those with the most merit.
* Owning a gun is taking responsibility for one's own defense and should have minimal restriction.
* Social Security is simply a transfer payment that should be replaced by personal accounts.
* Taxes shuld be cut to stimulate the economy and give people more of their money back.
* It's more important for the government to reduce the national debt, deficit and cut spending.
* Health Insurance is an individual choice. Some people prefer not to have it.
* Abortion should be Restricted, discouraged, or illegal.
* Military action that defies international law ( e.g, the United Nations ) is sometimes justified.
* The death penalty is appropriate in select cases.
* Leaders of countries that support terrorists or are genocidal should NOT be given a public forum on campus.
* Generally tend to distrust government's ability to solve problems. Which means the federal government should not do more than it is constitutionally mandated.
* See Ronald Reagan as the better 20th century president than FDR.
* Are more disturbed by the opinions of those of (former) Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders then the Rev. Pat Robertson
* Prefer Justices like Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas over Ruth Baden Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer.
* The religious right is NOT a threat to our political system and their input should be encouraged.
* As a society, we should spend more money trying to find a cure for cancer and heart disease than AIDS because AIDS can be prevented by a change in lifestyle.
* We should have gender segregated dorms in college.
* Right and wrong are revealed truths, handed down by God. Not all cultures are equally good or superior. We should learn and emphasize the values that made western culture what it is today.
Needless to say, I understand that there are many who stand in the middle, but I believe that there are colleges that CONSISTENTLY have a campus culture that favor one over the other.