Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Colleges for below average student?

bambeebambee Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2008 in College Search & Selection
My cousin recently called me to ask for help with the college admissions process. I'm not really sure what schools to tell him to apply to, since his gpa and SAT scores put him in a different range than I was. Here are his stats:

California resident
GPA: 2.8-3.0
SAT: 1600
has been approached by a few lesser known schools about possible football scholarships.

Assuming the football scholarships don't work out, what are some good, inexpensive colleges he could get into? Thanks!
Post edited by bambee on

Replies to: Colleges for below average student?

• calrulecalrule Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Do you guys have a local jc? He could play football there (most definitely for free), up his grades, then transfer.
  • bambeebambee Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
    There is one, where his sister goes, but he really wants the college experience, and if he went there he'd live at home and would most likely never transfer. I'd really like to help him get into a full four year college, since he really wants that.
  • huskem55huskem55 Posts: 4,284User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    does he want to stay out west?
  • Bec5656Bec5656 Posts: 143Registered User Junior Member
    Seems to me he is not a below average student in the real world, more of an average one. Has he looked at CSUs?
  • thenotsowildonethenotsowildone Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    My older brother (he's a junior) has approximately the same GPA as your cousin. He's looking at schools such as Northern Arizona University, Oregon State, and.... Erm, well, I think it's in Colorado. You might want to check out NAU. My brother visited it, and he really liked it. :)
  • poipoi Posts: 2,427Registered User Senior Member
    Some schools to possibly look at are Arizona State, Northern Colorado University, Utah State and University of Utah.