Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College: Medical Technologist or Pharmacist?

raacheeelraacheeel Posts: 298Registered User Junior Member
currently in community college, planning to trasnfer at my junior year and still deciding what my major should be...right now im deciding between a Medical Techologist or a Pharmacists...i know pharmacy can take up a lot of schooling and im really intimidated by that and the fact of studying for MCATs and getting into grad school, but as for medical technology i think it's only four years but i realize they don't get paid as much as a pharmacist..i dont know if should be looking at the how much it pays or for how much schooling it takes to be either a Pharmacist or Med-Tech

and which would be better for these majors? UCSD or UCSB. i know UCSD has a more of a academic reputation, but then UCSB has similar biological courses, and yet id want to learn to be more independent, and less dependent on my parents

can anyone give me a list of pharmacy grad schools, please?
and advice on what i should during my time in community college and at the university and how to prepare for grad schools (i.e. GPA, should i take the MCATs?, extracurriculars, and study habits)
much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Post edited by raacheeel on

Replies to: College: Medical Technologist or Pharmacist?

• BigredmedBigredmed Posts: 3,675Registered User Senior Member
    1) Pharmacy students take the PCAT, not the MCAT (which is for medical school - students going to become physicians). Not all pharmacy schools require the PCAT. Pharmacy school is 4 years, after which you would have a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD). Competition to get into pharmacy school is intense, and the schooling itself is difficult - much more difficult than Med Tech (which should make sense since it's professional school).

2) It really won't matter which school is "better" for these programs. You'll have a job when you come out.

3)AACP: Students - Is Pharmacy for You?

4) You really need to do some more research and talk to the pre-professional advisors at your school.