Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

best schools for spanish

siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2010 in College Search & Selection
title says it all
Post edited by siglio21 on

Replies to: best schools for spanish

• overwhelmedmaoverwhelmedma Posts: 423Registered User Member
    Dickinson? Very good international programs
  • siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    any more????
  • Knights09Knights09 Posts: 1,739Registered User Senior Member
    Middlebury
    ^digame por que
  • Knights09Knights09 Posts: 1,739Registered User Senior Member
    They are known for being outstanding in the languages.
  • katliamomkatliamom Posts: 5,853Registered User Senior Member
    siglio, nearly all large state universities will have good Spanish departments, particularly in California, where I see you live. If that is the field you're interested in pursuing, you will have lots to choose from, and you may want to consider what aspect of Spanish interests you the most: literature? translation? political/social/cultural issues in Spanish-speaking countries? Also, many language majors often do another language as part of their degree, particularly if they go on to grad school. That second language may be what determines where you go to school. Because, for example, most schools will offer classes in, say, French or German, but not all of them would offer for example Portuguese. In California, Berkeley is a languge power house, and UCLA is also outstanding.
    thank you all...i would appreciate some more info thgh
  • Phead128Phead128 Posts: 2,091Registered User Senior Member
    Johns Hopkins has the nation's fourth ranked Spanish Language and Literatures program.

I also highly recommend UC Davis, Tulane, Ohio State, NYU, UIUC, ASU, UVa, and University of New Mexico.
  • noobcakenoobcake Posts: 1,736Registered User Senior Member
    You can learn Spanish at any reputable school.

C'mon man, you are not trying to learn highly specialized or obscure major offered by few universities.
  • Phead128Phead128 Posts: 2,091Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Oversimplification of things can get to you. Many of the programs that I mentioned above have faculty sizes ranging from 10-27. With that said, Ohio State probably has best program out of all those schools, by far the school most recognized among Spanish American literature academics.

You can learn pretty much any language at any school.

Why don't you say the same for those English majors huh. Is English anymore different than Spanish for Spanish lovers? no, I don't think so.
  • gocanesgocanes Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    University of Miami and Florida International University both have strong spanish programs. I would pick FIU though, because tuition is lower and for a major like spanish I do not think 30k a year is worth it.
  • newenglandparentnewenglandparent Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    My child is a latin american studies and latin american history major at the U of Chicago. They have great departments in these areas, so if your interest is more directed towards the study of spanish speaking countries and their cultures, politics and history, Chicago is top notch. They also have a study abroad program in both Barcelona and Mexico which allows full credit towards satisfying major and core requirements.
    gracias a todos
  • anechkakithanechkakith Posts: 161Registered User Junior Member
    My sister is an incoming freshman at Tulane, and she has seen tons of fascinating Spanish/Latin American classes in the course listings.
  • RedBalloonsRedBalloons Posts: 36Registered User New Member
    Can anyone attest to any of the answers above or provide new ones?