Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is MIT very difficult to be admitted?

138649138649 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited September 2008 in College Search & Selection
How to get high score to 750 for SAT critical reading?
Post edited by 138649 on

Replies to: Is MIT very difficult to be admitted?

• dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,770Registered User Senior Member
    An SAT score of 750 is not required to get into MIT. It would certainly be a nice part of a WHOLE application, but by itself, that would be meaningless.

Successful applicants to MIT (I went there, my son went there, so I know a small amount about how to get in) have a lot to bring to the party. They have independent and interesting things they do outside of school--not just school-based activities--they have competitive grades and SAT scores--but keep in mind that 90% of MIT applicants have those grades and SAT scores and DON'T get in--and they have good essays and interviews.

Do you REALLY REALLY want to be an engineer? What do you spend your spare time doing?

(Is that your school's college board number? Not the best id, if so.)
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,688Registered User Senior Member
    Mathson got deferred and ultimately rejected - he had 800 CR, 750 M and three 800s on the SAT2s and 5's on a bunch of APs including Comp Sci which he'd taken as a freshman. He was in the top 2% of his class. MIT does holistic admissions which means they don't just look at grades and test scores.

How did he get that high CR score? He read (or re-read) over 100 sci fi and fantasy fiction novels a year.
  • QuantMechQuantMech Posts: 5,728Registered User Senior Member
    138649, I'm guessing that you are not a native English speaker, from the title of the thread and your question. Here's what I would suggest, to improve your CR score: Start by reading magazines such as Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, and National Geographic Adventure. Try reading The New York Times. Depending on your current CR score, you might actually benefit from reading a magazine such as Reader's Digest or one of the Scholastic magazines. Then you can move on to novels, as suggested by mathmom.

It is important to understand that admissions to MIT are "holistic," as mentioned by dmd77 and mathmom. This means that they are not score-driven. The admissions committee is trying to gain a sense of the applicant and the applicant's likely trajectory. Therefore, if you truly want the type of education that MIT offers, you should apply (and not be discouraged by your test scores).

As a cautionary note, though, if you are an international student, your odds of admission are much, much lower than for a student in the US.

I know a native-born American citizen who had 800 CR, 800 M, 800 W, 800 Math II, 800 Chemistry, 800 US History, scores of 5 on 7 AP exams at the time of application, 4.0 unweighted GPA at a fairly good high school, two years of university mathematics after Calculus BC, 3 languages (including one via university classes), varsity athletics (swimming and water polo), and a state-level award in a science competition. He was wait-listed at MIT, then finally admitted. There was absolutely nothing whatever wrong with this young man--in fact, he is terrific--and no relation to me, so I can be reasonably objective. I am still trying to figure out why he was not admitted at first. Also, look at this year's MIT admissions threads. There are at least two other cases of superbly qualified students whose rejections are real head-scratchers (can't personally vouch for their characters, though).
  • gradatgradgradatgrad Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    No it's very easy. All you need is a pulse.
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    Yes, it is difficult, as are all of the top 50 schools.
  • arcadefire1027arcadefire1027 Posts: 1,827Registered User Senior Member
    Nah dude, getting into MIT's easy as hell.
  • iambored10iambored10 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    Not even perfectly made robots could get into MIT... they look for other things besides high caliber stats.
  • DunninLADunninLA Posts: 4,272Registered User Senior Member
  • clockworkclockwork Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    Let me tell you one more story that I often relay. I was doing a regional reception in a city a few years back, and afterwards a student -- we'll call her Artemis -- comes up to me and tells me that she has a 760 on the Math SAT. As I was about to tell her that her score was just fine, she keeps talking, to inform me that she was going to take the test again, since "clearly" her score was "too low." I was like, "What?!?!" I "ordered" Artemis to not take the Math SAT again, and instead to have a picnic on that Saturday. Because to us, a 760 math is the same as any higher score she could receive on the retest.

I think at least half of CC needs to read this...
  • voodoo_santavoodoo_santa Posts: 897Registered User Member
    psssh mit? thats hella easy to get in...aim for higher dude like community colleges