Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Top Colleges in Broadcasting (radio, preferably) & Journalism

leftwichqb7leftwichqb7 Posts: 444Registered User Member
edited October 2008 in College Search & Selection
I'm having a tough time finding the top schools for radio broadcasting and journalism.

Help???
Post edited by leftwichqb7 on

Replies to: Top Colleges in Broadcasting (radio, preferably) & Journalism

• jckundjckund Posts: 680Registered User Member
    Elon has a very good broadcasting program... you should visit there sometime because that whole building is beautiful.
  • leftwichqb7leftwichqb7 Posts: 444Registered User Member
    Ah okay.

Any others?
  • CalreaderCalreader Posts: 1,027Registered User Senior Member
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's still interesting - a list of all college radio stations:
    CollegeRadio.com - Streaming College Radio, Music News, Interviews and Reviews. Where College and Music Collide!

Good opportunities to get experience, maybe.

I think Emerson has a good reputation for media studies, including broadcasting. And Syracuse.
  • Cuse0507Cuse0507 Posts: 4,519Registered User Senior Member
    Syracuse has one of the best j-schools in the country. Broadcast is one of their specialties.
  • valentinocuevasvalentinocuevas Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    boston university
    northwestern
  • momof3greatkidsmomof3greatkids Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    University of Missouri-Columbia. Many outstanding Radio/TV journalism alums, including Russ Mitchell, Elizabeth Vargas, Jan Carl....
  • need2learnneed2learn Posts: 364Registered User Member
    ASU's Cronkite School is well regarded. They just opened a stand alone program in downtown Phoenix. The Cronkite School was one of 5 programs chosen by one of the major networks (I think ABC) to have a partnership with them on campus. (I think the others were Syracuse, Texas, Florida and UNC.

We looked at this program with my son last spring, but because the buildings were not completed yet, it was difficult to get a feel for what life would be like. Everything is up and running now, so it would be much easier to get a feel for the fit. Son ended up at a LAC.
  • Newman91Newman91 Posts: 142Registered User Junior Member
    Anyone know any small-medium sized universities not mentioned that have good programs for Broadcasting? I want to do some sort of Sports communications and broadcasting and I want to know what schools would be good for that besides the too competitive ones Syracuse and Northwestern.
  • TUOwls2011TUOwls2011 Posts: 728- Member
    I would highly recommend Temple's program.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 5,917Registered User Senior Member
    Syracuse, U of Missouri, Washington and Lee University, Washington State University.