Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Top engineering schools that aren't so hard to get into.

ShrimpheadShrimphead Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2008 in College Search & Selection
I am very interested in engineering, especially mechanical and aeronautical. I would love to go to MIT and I get really excited about the possibility of going there, but it turns out that that possibility is extremely slim. The possibility is about the same with Caltech and Princeton, other good engineering schools that I would be interested in. So, what I need is some ideas for really good engineering schools that have good mechanical and aernautical/aerospace engineering programs and are easier to get accepted to than the ones I've listed.

So you can list some schools that are matches for me, my stats are:

ACT (superscored):
Math: 33
English: 36
Reading: 36
Science: 33
Composite: I got a 34 both times I took it. I just retook it on Saturday and am hoping for
a 35.

GPA: 3.95 unweighted

Other: I will have my associate's degree from Utah Valley University by the end of the
summer from dual enrollment, AP tests, and distance learning. I currently have over 50
credits. By the way, I don't think this will prevent me from applying as a freshman.

ECs (this is where I fall short):
Eagle Scout
about 4 years of leadership out of 6 years of participation in church youth group

So what good engineering schools could I get accepted to? To be honest, at this point, location and size aren't too important to me. I could do well at big or large schools. Although, I would prefer a school that is medium-sized, or leans to the small side. My biggest factors are the quality of the specific programs (mech. and aero engineering) and financial aid. I wouldn't mind if the school doesn't have a graduate program, as long as it still has a great undergraduate program. Thanks for the help!
Post edited by Shrimphead on

Replies to: Top engineering schools that aren't so hard to get into.

• jliujliu Posts: 244Registered User Junior Member
    these aren't much easier but...
    University of michigan, carnegie mellon, upenn, purdue?
    also maybe somewhere south in St.Louis because Boeing has headquarters there = internship/job?
  • wobudongwobudong Posts: 407Registered User Member
    For aero and mechanical you can't beat GaTech. If Princeton appeals to you, then you also should look into Rice.
  • sakkysakky Posts: 14,759- Senior Member
    I agree with Georgia Tech - a quite good engineering school that is not that difficult to get into.

Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Texas A&M, Penn State may also work out well.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Posts: 9,449Registered User Senior Member
    Some of the schools suggested do not have aerospace engineering program.

Aerospace Engineering Schools/Programs in the United States of America
  • daman11daman11 Posts: 904Registered User Member
    your title is an oxymoron
  • cheezwhizcheezwhiz Posts: 424Registered User Member
    Rose Hulman is great with some good financial aid...has Mech but not Aero. Wonderful School and highly ranked.
  • GreensGreens Posts: 555Registered User Member
    your title is an oxymoron
    lol. I can't stop laughing
  • saxophilesaxophile Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    U of Arizona. A little on the big side for you maybe, but strong in aerospace.
  • huuvinh13huuvinh13 Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    @ jliu: upenn? Seriously, with 2 ECs? I find it hard to believe that a person can get into an Ivy school with just 2 ECs. Princeton? Rice? I'm so confused.
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Posts: 5,347Registered User Senior Member
    Hidden gem: Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla). Has Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, along with other types. Offers good merit aid.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,434Super Moderator Senior Member
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    Purdue University-West Lafayette
    University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
    University of Maryland-College Park
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    University of Texas-Austin
    Virginia Tech
  • SiraHSiraH Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    dnt forget virginia tech
  • toadstooltoadstool Posts: 1,145Registered User Senior Member
    Danial Webster's 70 engineering students are 1/3 mech, 2/3 aero and have thier own airport and fleet of planes. New and totally hands using the CDIO/ new engineering model. Immediate and full involvement in the conceive/design/model/build/test/operate cycle. ABET accredited associate/4-year acreditation by summer 09. A gem. but so new you can still get in. In five years that won't be the case
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,504Registered User Senior Member
    Purdue and Texas A&M are ridiculously easy to get into....and ranked in the top 20 engineering schools
  • SabsterSabster Posts: 424Registered User Member
    How bout Case Western? It's pretty highly regarded as an engineering school. Maybe not so much as the others, but still, it has a good program.