Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's the difference between a minor and a concentration?

mcawesomemcawesome Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2008 in College Search & Selection
What's the difference between a minor and a concentration?
Post edited by mcawesome on

Replies to: What's the difference between a minor and a concentration?

• pandempandem Posts: 1,364Registered User Senior Member
    From my understanding, a concentration is well, a concentration within your major. If your major is Biology, maybe your concentration is Botany. It's just a focus within your major.

A minor on the other hand is usually unrelated to your major and consists of a series of courses in a particular area.
  • yankees713yankees713 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    heres an example

i am majoring in electrical engineering, with a focus/concentration in computer engineering (which is under electrical engineering)

and im also minoring in music performance

so basically concentration is when you focus on a certain area within your major, and a minor is usually a different subject than your major
  • mcawesomemcawesome Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    okay i understand now, thanks guys!
  • JasonHoyaJasonHoya Posts: 477Registered User Member
    just to be specific, a minor is a series of courses in a subject, less than a major, that gives you some competence on the subject. For example, if you need 10 classes for a Biology major, a Biology minor will only need 5 classes.

Also note that some schools are weird and will call majors "concentrations" (i think Harvard does this), but typically a concentration is like what people said, a focus within a major.