Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what colleges can you get into with a sub 2.5 gpa

afg_kingafg_king Posts: 14Registered User New Member
my GPA is sub 2.5 and SATs at 1650...and i dont really have a list of where i could look at
Post edited by afg_king on

Replies to: what colleges can you get into with a sub 2.5 gpa

• nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,850Registered User Senior Member
    Attend your local community college for the first year. Work hard, earn a high GPA, prove to yourself and transfer colleges that you can handle the academics, and try to transfer into a 4-year college for your sophomore year.
  • KoreanGurl1342KoreanGurl1342 Posts: 96- Junior Member
    University of Bridgeport (1.5 GPA leads to guaranteed admission)
  • Fearless10Fearless10 Posts: 205Registered User Junior Member
    A 2.5 GPA doesn't mean you're doomed to community college... there are plenty of lesser-known state U's that will accept you with those stats. Look at some public schools around your hometown, for starters.
  • razordadrazordad Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    Ole Miss, and there is a lot to like about it. Nice size (12,000 undergrads), real pretty campus, SEC football, robust greek life, highly regarded college town of Oxford, known for pretty coeds (not sure if you are a guy or gal). Don't know where you are from or where you're looking, but if you are interested in the South, you can get in Ole Miss.
  • rms01rms01 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    I certainly wouldn't be telling you the best that can be done is community college. There are many public universities with programs that obtain good reception. In my home state of Ohio, for example, Kent State University and the University of Akron are a couple that come to mind. You'd be in with a 2.0+ GPA, and still receive a good base for your undergrad education if you want to transfer later on.
  • mephist0mephist0 Posts: 734Registered User Member
    Yep plenty of the lower-tier state colleges may accept you, and it's alot easier to transfer in to a prestigious school than to get in as a freshman. In PA for example, you could apply to a bunch of penn state branch campuses and they guarantee a transfer to the main campus after 2 years if you keep up good grades. Even if you want to go to somewhere as highly ranked as UMich, it would be fairly easy to transfer in if you went to a "directional school" (CMU, EMU, WMU, NMU) and got a good GPA. UMich is much easier than you'd think to transfer into, but even the "directional colleges" may be a reach for a sub-2.5 student.

The benefit of going to a low-tier 4 year school rather than a comm. college is that you still get the full "college experience" rather than feeling like you are in HS for 2 more years. This mostly only holds true for schools that are not commuter campuses (George Mason is a good example of this - it's pretty easy to get into, and very easy to transfer into the likes of UVA or W&M, but the social experience there is closer to a community college than a real residential campus) so check out every school you apply to.

These are just a few examples, but if you said what state you were in it would help to narrow down the choices.
  • SmartkiddSmartkidd Posts: 45- Junior Member
    SDSU

san diego state university is worth a try....great girls, great weather, just a really low ranked school
  • belevittbelevitt Posts: 2,005Registered User Senior Member
    If you just want information about what schools are available for a C+ high school student, talk to your guidance counselor. He will know a lot about what students from your particular school have gone on to do.
  • poipoi Posts: 2,427Registered User Senior Member
    Also check into Plymouth State (NH), Castleton State (VT), Lasell (MA), University of Toledo and Marshall (WV).
  • jec7483jec7483 Posts: 859Registered User Member
    I would look into LSU, great football down there is louisiana, and WVU. I think you would have a shot at both with a 2.5.
  • loweryoureyelidsloweryoureyelids Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    What about a liberal arts school like Hendrix or Arkansas or Hartwick in upstate New York? Maybe even Ripon in Wisconsin. They're both really well respected schools, but have over 80% acceptance rates. Yeah the locations may suck, but sometimes you have to put your life first, and realize your education is the link to your future.

How about Minnesota - Morris? It's such a cool school, it's cheap because it's a state school, but it's a tiny (1500) impressive liberal arts school. Again the location isn't urban (it's in the plains), but you have 50% of the students living on campus who are willing to learn. Again, acceptance rate over 80%.
  • blu_g8oradeblu_g8orade Posts: 748Registered User Member
    you should look at the Penn State system as was suggested. you can start out at one of the smaller satellite campuses, and the result will be graduating from Penn State University Park by your senior year. assuming you keep your grades up.
  • Silent21Silent21 Posts: 33Registered User New Member
    Sorry to jump in, but aren't Penn State admissions "rolling"? When is the latest an application can be submitted?
  • Somewhere2012Somewhere2012 Posts: 336Registered User Member
    University of Kansas if you have a 24 ACT score (or equivalent SAT)
  • bedwards09bedwards09 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I wouldn't advise to go to SDSU, you need a 3.5+ and average SAT's to get in there.