Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schools similar to Wake Forest?

smbsmomsmbsmom Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
We just returned home from initial college tour. Daughter really liked Wake Forest. The size seemed not too big, not too small. The campus is beautiful and she likes the school spirit/big athletics aspect of it. Students seem very serious about school and yet care about fun. She needs to expand her list. Is she reading Wake correctly and, if so, what other schools have similar characteristics/feel?
Post edited by smbsmom on

Replies to: Schools similar to Wake Forest?

• Hope2getriceHope2getrice Posts: 1,154Registered User Senior Member
    yes, I would say she is reading the school correctly.
    She should take a look at Wesleyan too. The Campus is phenomenal and the academics are superb as well.
    Vassar is very nice too, but might not be for everyone.
    anyways, what part of the country does she want to be in?
  • NWOhiomomNWOhiomom Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Take a look at Duke and Vanderbilt also - smaller schools with big time sports. Davidson might be another to consider.
  • bosoxnm3bosoxnm3 Posts: 504Registered User Member
    Boston College- 9k undergrads, great campus, next to Boston, slightly tougher to get into, USNews says has BC ranked one spot ahead of Wake
  • gadadgadad Posts: 7,747Super Moderator Senior Member
    As a Wake alum, I'd say that Vandy, Boston College, Furman, and Bucknell (the latter two with lower-level athletics) are Wake's closest cousins.
  • ElizaBElizaB Posts: 658Registered User Member
    I've heard that Wake and Villanova are very similar in terms of the student body.
  • hotasicehotasice Posts: 655Registered User Member
    Davidson, perhaps?
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't say Wesleyan is at all like Wake.

U Richmond is fairly similar, although athletics aren't as big.
  • aaron981aaron981 Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    How small is too small? Davidson is only 1700 students, but if that is within her range it meets all of the other criteria.

I would also recommend Rice, it is about the same size (~3000) and is pretty big on athletics.
  • dwhitedwhite Posts: 614Registered User Member
    I would say Vanderbilt is most similar. My S (high school senior)visited and applied to Wake, Vandy, BC, UVA and Chapel Hill. I think Wake was his 2nd choice if he had not gotten into Vandy. The only major issue my S had with Wake was it was near a city, Winston-Salem is nothing like Nashville.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,322Registered User Senior Member
    Rice is not big on athletics. It is D1, but only baseball gets any notice. Football did make a bowl game this year, but it is more D3ish sports.
  • LoonLakeLoonLake Posts: 913- Member
    Drury University in Missouri
  • Kinda RecklessKinda Reckless Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I always thought Wake Forest was the southern version of Villanova University. Its got a similar student compostition, academic profile, etc.
  • hawkettehawkette Posts: 4,863Registered User Senior Member
    I concur with several others who have mentioned Vanderbilt. It's probably the closest in size, nature of student body, role of athletics, etc. although I think that Nashville and Winston-Salem are miles apart in what they offer students and the role that each can play in a student's undergraduate experience.

Others that are somewhat similar are:
    Larger: U Virginia, Boston College, Duke, Villanova
    Smaller: Davidson, Bucknell, U Richmond

I would strongly disagree with the suggestion that Wesleyan is at all like Wake Forest. IMO, they are more like polar opposites. Same with Vassar.