Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which colleges give book awards?

IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
Which ones do? People from my school have received book awards from Harvard, Brown, and Wellesley. Are there others?
Post edited by IBclass06 on

Replies to: Which colleges give book awards?

• mattmommattmom Posts: 1,763Registered User Senior Member
    Book awards generally come from local alumni associations, and there are probably dozens. Among others given at my children's school are Smith, Yale, Williams, and Mt. Holyoke. I know there are others; it is primarily a matter of whether you have an active alumni group in your area and whether the group wants to keep the college's name in the public eye at a given high school
  • leejwwcleejwwc Posts: 895Registered User Member
  • driverdriver Posts: 4,148- Senior Member
    What mattmom said. Could be almost any college with a local alumni group and an interest in your school.
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks! Are book awards:
    a) Fluff awards
    b) Good awards but not terribly impressive
    c) Very good awards/possible indicators of admission
  • streetspirit036streetspirit036 Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    dartmouth and princeton give them at my school.
  • driverdriver Posts: 4,148- Senior Member
    I don't think they're indicative of admission to any particular school, but they are generally given to students on the basis of academic achievement in a specific area. The kids who get them are going to be noticed for their academics anyway. So, I'd say they're more of an embellishment. I don't think any of the kids who got our book awards--Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Dartmouth, Williams (there might be another, I don't remember)--went to the school named in their book award. But they all went to one of those schools.
  • TheCityTheCity Posts: 631Registered User Member
    here is how a book award works (i know, my brother gets a letter asking him to do it from the NU alumni assn.)

The alumni assn. asks a person to give 100 or 500 or whatever amount of money (atleast 100) to establish a book award at his or her high school. This pays for the school to get a few copies of the book to give one out every year.
    The recipient is chosen by the faculty or principal, based on whatever criteria they want, but usually its given to a student with a high chance of being admitted to that place. Its basically just another academic award given by the school. Your high school will have book awards from whichever colleges that your high school has sent kids to, where the kid sent back money.

The tradition was started by ivies when tehy were still trying to get a big reputation and get more interest in them at schools around the country, outside of the east coast. Other colleges do it now to get recognition as well.
  • nycnyc Posts: 1,355Registered User Senior Member
    Smith has a book award program. Book award winners are often admitted, but if they weren't strong prospects, they wouldn't have been nominated by their respective GCs.

Some the book awards comes w/ $$ (for books) should the awardee enroll.
  • wraider2006wraider2006 Posts: 1,162Registered User Member
    Hey our high school had an awards ceremony tonight and it turns out I won a book award. For which college, I do not know.

I wasn't there. Last year I won the gym award. I thought I was going to win it again so I didn't bother to come. But my friend called me after the ceremony and said that they had prepared like a speech in my name and everything... lol. I wish I had gone.
  • marcyrmarcyr Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
    DD got one last month from the Education Dept. at the University of Delaware. She had a wonderful time spending it - a $100 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble - especially since she was able to buy books that had nothing whatsoever to do with school. I'm still not sure what she did to win it, and frankly neither is she, but it was a nice gift at the end of a tough school year.
  • bost88bost88 Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    So does the book award (particulary Smith) let you get free books all 4 yrs or is there a limit? And those with the Smith Award usually get admitted? That sounds pretty good. Is that true for other schools, such as Harvard?
  • TheCityTheCity Posts: 631Registered User Member
    no, i won the harvard book award from my school last year... they give you a book about harvard. A long time ago, when this was started, harvard was the only college that did it, and if you won the harvard book award, they gave you a book, entitled "The Harvard Book"...
    now, its a different book, the one i got was called "Harvard A toZ".. a sort of encyclopedia about everything harvard.
  • nycnyc Posts: 1,355Registered User Senior Member
    Last I heard (3 yrs ago), Smith gave $500 for books, plus a copy of that year's book selection (something written by a Smith alumna).
  • An0nym0u5An0nym0u5 Posts: 1,661Registered User Senior Member
    someone at my school got a book award from Caltech. he'll be attending Yale.
  • QuickLikeCatQuickLikeCat Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    The book awards that are routinely given out at my school are St. John's, Wesleyan, Brown, and Harvard. They usually go to the students who are anywhere from #1 to #10 in the class, usually with significant school involvement as well.

That's so awesome that some of you got gift cards! The book award recipients at my school got random books--I think the Harvard one got a pretty nice dictionary, the Brown one got a book on Shakespeare, etc. Cool books to have, but I love gift cards. I guess it's up to the alumni or the HS to pick which books.