Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best undergraduate schools for neuroscience?

rachael525rachael525 Posts: 1,499- Member
edited September 2013 in College Search & Selection
I haven't been able to find any cohesive information on this. I know Brown's great.
Post edited by rachael525 on

Replies to: Best undergraduate schools for neuroscience?

• collegehelpcollegehelp Posts: 6,293Registered User Senior Member
    Neuroscience
    Ranked in order of selectivity

Pomona College
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Washington University in St Louis
    Columbia University in the City of New York
    Dartmouth College
    University of Pennsylvania
    Vanderbilt University
    Amherst College
    Brown University
    Bowdoin College
    Emory University
    Hamilton College
    Middlebury College
    Vassar College
    Johns Hopkins University
    Brandeis University
    Colby College
    Colgate University
    Macalester College
    University of Southern California
    Wellesley College
    Oberlin College
    Scripps College
    Tulane University of Louisiana
    Barnard College
    New York University
    Connecticut College
    Colorado College
    Franklin and Marshall College
    Lehigh University
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    Trinity University
    Dickinson College
    Lafayette College
    Northeastern University
    University of Miami
    Furman University
    Trinity College
    Boston University
    Skidmore College
    Smith College
    University of California-Los Angeles
    University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    Brigham Young University
    Muhlenberg College
    Allegheny College
    University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
    Baylor University
    Drake University
    Texas Christian University
    University of California-Irvine
    Indiana University-Bloomington
    Drew University
    University of Scranton
    University of California-Santa Cruz
    Washington State University
    Western Washington University
    Centenary College of Louisiana
    Central Michigan University
    Regis University
    University of California-Riverside
    Bowling Green State University-Main Campus
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    Although outdated, most of the universities ranked by NRC for neuroscience are still very strong in that field.

NRC Rankings in Neurosciences
  • rachael525rachael525 Posts: 1,499- Member
    Wow -- thanks a lot, both of you.
  • BrownBear1BrownBear1 Posts: 264- Junior Member
    Brown by a mile
    The list in post #2 was from a search on the IPEDS Peer Analysis System website.
  • tall sainttall saint Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    WashU's neuroscience major is pretty awesome, but it's also very difficult to declare (only 28 spots for each graduating class).
  • metb29metb29 Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
    Duke just opened up a pure neuroscience major this year (before, it was a certificate program in biology and psychology majors). Something to keep in mind if you're interested in Duke. I don't know if WUSTL has a pure neuroscience major(if that's what tall saint is referring to), but I know that interdisciplinary majors including neuroscience are popular over there and at Emory (PNP for Wash U, NBB for Emory).

For the rankings above--are they undergrad or grad studies? I'm interested in neuroscience, but I'm not yet sure if I'd want to take it as a major.
    metb29-
    The ranking above is for undergrad based on overall SATs and having at least 5 bachelors graduates last year in neuroscience.
  • chevyatthelevychevyatthelevy Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    @collegehelp, Where did you find the source for this info? I have been searching everywhere to find this, and this is great!
    I got the data from the IPEDS Data Center, "Compare Individual Institutions".
    I selected schools that had neuroscience graduates and then sorted by SAT using Excel.

It is not easy to use.

IPEDS Data Center - Login
  • zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,450Registered User Senior Member
    Go to this website linked to the Society for Neuroscience website:
    Undergraduate Neuroscience Curriculum Development | Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience

Then click on this .pdf file:

Undergraduate Neuroscience Education: Blueprints for the 21st Century, Eric Wiertelak and Julio Ramirez, JUNE 2008

It details undergrad neuroscience curriculum recommendations for neuroscience major programs in biology depts., in psychology depts., and for interdisciplinary neuroscience programs. For schools that interest you, you can compare their neuroscience major requirements to these recommendations.
  • cobratcobrat Posts: 6,293Registered User Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, is your ultimate goal to become a research scientist in this or a related field or med school?

If it is the former, you may also want to consider whether the school's Neuroscience department is dominated by pre-meds or not. Several high school classmates who wanted to become research scientists in Neuroscience and other areas felt miserable and in some cases, underprepared for their PhD programs because their departments were mainly focused on preparing pre-meds for med school rather than fostering future research scientists.

Also, some of the rankings of those departments are off if selectivity means difficulty in gaining admission to a given school. Unless things have drastically changed, Wellesley is much harder to get into than Vassar, Brandeis, Colgate University, Macalester College, and especially University of Southern California.

A younger cousin who is now going to Vassar was rejected by Wellesley and Johns Hopkins as were other friends of hers who were also accepted to Vassar.

Moreover, I knew many recent college graduates who were accepted to Brandeis, but rejected by Oberlin and Wellesley.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,414Super Moderator Senior Member
    The usual suspects really.

Brown University
    California Institute of Technology
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Duke University
    Harvard University
    Johns Hopkins University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Princeton University
    Stanford University
    University of California-Berkeley
    University of California-San Diego
    University of Chicago
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    University of Pennsylvania
    University of Washington
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Washington University-St Louis
    Yale University

I am not including LACs, but there are many excellent programs I can think of, including Amherst, Bowdoin, Carleton, Harvey Mudd, Haverford, Middlebury, Oberlin, Pomona, Swarthmore, Wesleyan and Williams.
  • zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,450Registered User Senior Member
    Here are three to consider: Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and U Texas-Dallas.

Dept of Neuroscience - Undergraduate Program

Neuroscience - 2008-2010 UT Dallas Undergraduate Catalog - The School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences

Undergraduate | Department of Neuroscience | University of Pittsburgh

All of these have good depth in neuroscience course offerings and require a strong supporting core in basic sciences. Minnesota's major is through their College of Biological Sciences, but the neuroscience dept is situated in the medical school. UT-Dallas has proximity to the IT Southwest Medical Center. Pittsburg has a free-standing neuroscience dept in the College of Arts & Science plus proximity to a top medical school. All of these would offer good opportunities for research.
  • artloversplusartloversplus Posts: 4,420Registered User Senior Member
    This is crazy. UCSD is missing from the IPEDS list althogether, but it is #1 on NRC list. We did visit UCSD's neuroscience department and it looks very impressive. I cannot believe UCSD is behind UCR in that department....