Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

San Jose State and Academy of Art

ed1127ed1127 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited June 2009 in College Search & Selection
Are these colleges good?

I wanted to study arts, graphic design, psychology, philosophy and humanities. Is San Jose good at this majors? And after San Jose, I wanted to get my next studies at the Academy of arts to get specialized in Art more.

I don't really get the education system over there.
Could someone explain me? First, it's undergraduate studies, but what diploma do you get? How many majors can I choose?

Sorry, is that I'm from Panama, and the system here is different.

BTW, any other good colleges for this majors?
Post edited by ed1127 on

Replies to: San Jose State and Academy of Art

• GrumpsterGrumpster Posts: 498Registered User Member
    You might also look at San Francisco State University.
  • Lou CostelloLou Costello Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    Is it good? - is too random a question. The answer depends on how much you want to spend and what you want you want to get. Those students taking art at SJSU typically look at CCA as the "BIG" name school locally. The catch is cost, CCA=$$$$. SJSU has had successful, nationally renowned art graduates, but only a few. It suffers from little local support (engineering dominates, it's Silicon Valley). You can do good work, but if you want a big name art degree, this isn't the place, but for that matter neither are the other schools you mentioned. Go east.

A little known detail if you're going to try for graphic design or illustration. These programs are highly competitive at SJSU. If you get accepted into the arts program and are going for graphic design, then you start in a class of about 300 students. You need to pass two portfolio reviews. The first is easy, but by the time the second one comes at the end of your second year only about 80-120 students even try. The school only accepts 25 each year to continue. The rest typically take a general "Design" degree. I'm not knocking the degree, only understand if you don't get past the review, then you miss out on two more years of graphic design classes. Illustration is similar (I think they take 30-35), and there is a direct link in that department with Pixar, so its pretty bloody at portfolio review time.

Finally all California State schools are impacted due to budget difficulties. Next semester most State schools will fill all openings from the local population first, then transfers from the local community colleges, then and only then will they take outsiders. Unfortunately because everyone in the US is cutting spending the amount of local students is skyrocketing because of SJSU's affordability. This means if you try for California schools, make sure you add schools from other states. You may simply get locked out because of lack of openings.

good luck