Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Top Geology Programs?

ontheflyonthefly Posts: 1,115Registered User Member
What are some well respected Geology Programs?
Post edited by onthefly on

Replies to: Top Geology Programs?

• modestmelodymodestmelody Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
    MIT, Brown...
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 6,981Registered User Senior Member
    Applied or more theoretical? Colorado School of Mines is fantastic for applied geoscience.
  • osucowboysosucowboys Posts: 613Registered User Member
    It depends what you're wanting to do with geology. If you mean petroleum engineering which is probably the most common career application for geology-related degrees, that's different than if you just want to predict earthquakes and study rocks and stuff.

University of Oklahoma, University of Calgary, University of Tulsa, Southern Methodist University are all really good for geology.
  • ontheflyonthefly Posts: 1,115Registered User Member
    osu, Im just looking for well respected programs, I'm not quite sure yet about career specifics but I know geology is a good place to start.

Thanks for the responses but feel free to post many schools so I can narrow down my choices by if I could even get in lol
  • FiyeroFiyero Posts: 791Registered User Member
    According to USNWR, the rankings for geology are as follows:

1. Stanford
    2. MIT
    3. Cal Tech
    3. Penn State
    5. Michigan
    5. Texas
    7. Arizona
    8. UC-Berkeley
    9. Wisconsin
    10. Washington

I hope this helps. Before someone says it, yes these are graduate school rankings. I know of no readily available rankings for geology at the undergraduate level. I would assume the top schools would be similar.
  • EiddaEidda Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    My sister is a geology major at Middlebury college and loves the department. Of course it doesn't have as much resources as some larger public schools but it is good for undergrad LAC wise. I know UTexas as a good geo program (my sis is working on some of their collection this summer) but I believe it is quite small.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Posts: 6,297Registered User Senior Member
    Gourman undergraduate ranking for geology/geoscience

Caltech
    MIT
    Princeton
    Columbia
    Stanford
    Harvard
    U Chicago
    UCLA
    Yale
    UC Berkeley
    Cornell
    Penn State UP
    U Texas Austin
    U Wisconsin Madison
    U Arizona
    UC Santa Barbara
    Brown
    Virginia Tech
    SUNY Stony Brook
    U Michigan Ann Arbor
    Johns Hopkins
    Northwestern
    U Washington
    Indiana U Bloomington
    U Minnesota
    UC Davis
    U Colorado Boulder
    U Illinois Champaign-Urbana
    USC
    Arizona State
    UC Santa Cruz
    U Miami
    U Utah
    U Mass Amherst
    UNC Chapel Hill
    U Oregon
    Texas A&M
    SUNY Albany
    Ohio State
    U Kansas
    U South Carolina Columbia
    U Wyoming
    U Cincinnati
    U New Mexico
    Rice
    U Iowa
    Louisiana State
    Oregon State Columbus
    U Hawaii Manoa
    Michigan State
    So when choosing a college for myself, should the prospective university's ranking in my desired major outweigh its overall ranking?

For example colorado is not overly prestigious on the whole, but apparently the geology program is well respected. So what matters more????
    any answers to the above question? ^^^^
    Depends on how sure you are with what you want to do both at college and beyond.

Also, like other poster's eluded to, what kind of geology you want to do matters a lot. Wouldn't go to Brown for petro, but would for planetary, for instance.
    It seems unwise for me to specialize so much at age 17 especially with the number of times most people change majors... But then again I do need to decide on a college so what should I do?

When companies hire geologists do they look more for extremely specialized backgrounds such as geomorphologists, petrologists, stratigraphers, mineralogists etc. to suit their specific need or would it be better for me to get a general geology background so I would be marketable to more employers where I could later specialize further?
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    So when choosing a college for myself, should the prospective university's ranking in my desired major outweigh its overall ranking?
    No. Most top universities have solid earth science departments, and job outlooks are quite good for geology graduates from any university.

I disagree with modest in that you need to worry about your specialty at this point. Sure, Chicago and UT Austin are great for vertebrate paleontology -- but really, the undergraduate geo education you get there won't be a lot different than one you'd get at Northwestern or Cornell. What you can do to increase employability is take useful courses on in-demand topics like GIS and hydrogeology.

Search for past posts by a poster named Ophiolite -- her posts are quite helpful for those interested in geology. She did her undergrad at Pitt and ended up at Wisconsin for grad school, a top 10 program.
  • JWT86JWT86 Posts: 539Registered User Member
    wrote:
    I know UTexas as a good geo program (my sis is working on some of their collection this summer) but I believe it is quite small.

I don't think UTexas's program is that small... a former student recently gave ~$230M solely to the Geology program so they split it off from the College of Natural Science and made it an entirely new College within the University.
    Well, IB, I wasn't very clear I think in my last post. I don't think you should even worry about concentration as an incoming undergrad-- too many people change their mind and too many schools offer strong enough, similar enough programs that it should be a major concern. However, I do think there are an exceptionally few number of people who are very sure of what they want to do and if that's the case, by all means, look at what you want to do and choose based on that.

I guess my second comment was more about the fact that overall rankings in geology are misleading because many of the schools listed in the middle (as is often the case) may be significantly better in some areas of geology but not as well ranked overall because of the smaller size (sometimes a huge advantage to undergrads, imo).

Overall, I wouldn't worry about geology pretty much at all and I would just look at top schools to get into. As with most sciences, geology is so interdisciplinary and its fundamentals are so well established that most any strong school will prepare you for work or grad school.
  • osucowboysosucowboys Posts: 613Registered User Member
    UT's geology school houses its own library and its own institutes..that's got to be worth something.