Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Top liberal art colleges for international relations

CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Posts: 5,403Registered User Senior Member
What are top liberal art colleges for international relations ( already know the publics/privates)? One which have a high percentage of students being admitted into top graduate schools may be a example, internships in Washington D.C etc...

I'm sure this question have been ask before, as multiple questions that has been asked on this forum.
Post edited by Coolbrezze on

Replies to: Top liberal art colleges for international relations

• CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Posts: 5,403Registered User Senior Member
  • Tzar09Tzar09 Posts: 854Registered User Member
    Bowdoin College has an extremely good government/political science department in which you have the option of doing a concentration in international relations.
    I will look into the university
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    Since you have repeatedly stated a love for Big-10-type schools, this seems like a really strange question...
    I do like big ten universites, which is why I have many on my list such as:
    Michigan State University, University of Michigan- Ann Arbor, University of Wisconsin- Madison, Universityh of Minnesota- Twin Cities, University of Iowa- Iowa City, while only privates/ publics are Kalamazoo College ( maybe), George Washington University. I'am likely to add more universities to my list, such as a private/ public( one generous with FA)... though recently had to slide off ( which I didn't want to, such as PSU-UP, but I guess it was going to happen if I got accepted and seen I couldn't possibly afford the school) most of the other big ten universities since they are not generous for need base financial aid, and I just wouldn't be able to afford the school if accepted. Though with my understanding, liberal art colleges are generous with FA, and was wondering which ones excell in my major.
    Also, my experience with the city local health system isn't great at all, and now anywhere out of this citty sounds just about great.... including LACs
  • greg6orgreg6or Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    CMC and Goucher College as a less selective choice.
  • jasmomjasmom Posts: 992Registered User Member
    Goucher has an excellent International Scholars Program (can be combined with any major, including, of course, International Relations). In addition, the global focus/philosophy of the school complements the major with very interesting guest lecturers and speakers.Take a look on line about the $ and other perks.
  • gellinogellino Posts: 3,017Registered User Senior Member
    I had a few friends at Colgate who majored in IR that went on to become professors. Colgate has an off-campus study group in Wash DC that I think combines classes with an internship that it sounds like you may be interested in.

Colgate: Washington
    Thanks for suggestions ( still looking into them all), though I'm suspecious with Goucher. I thought if LACS, privates and publics would all be ranked together, Goucher wouldn't even make it under the USNEWS ranking ( like 1. Harvard, 2. Yale, etc...) and would just only be listed.
  • lolcats4lolcats4 Posts: 3,203Registered User Senior Member
    Claremont McKenna and Pomona have excellent programs. Pomona students consistently win a very high number of Fullbright awards; the year before last they won the 3rd most of all schools in the US, and by far and away the most per capita. Claremont McKenna has a Semester in Washington program (which Pomona students can take advantage of as well).
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    Foreign Policy: Inside the Ivory Tower

In the four years 2004–07, Smith College produced 62 student Fulbright Fellows (84 in the seven years 2001–07), the most among colleges nationwide.
    Looked into most LACs suggested, and seems very difficult to get admitted. I recently just removed Kalamazoo College from my potential list, so right now I have absolutely no LACs.
  • OHKIDOHKID Posts: 1,255Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe Knox (Abe Lincoln's alma mater), Kenyon, Wooster, DePauw (Dan Quayle's alma mater, but that's not saying much...) Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, or Beloit?

Also think you should just go to U of M because it is the best in the midwest for political science and you got in-state tuition, which is something I wish that I had so I wouldn't have to sell a kidney to go there!!!!!! (jk)
    Yeah I have high interest in University of Michigan- Ann Arbor, but just like most universities I've mention ( MSU, UW-Madison etc..) it's very difficult to get accepted.