Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Canadian Universities Vs US universities

dragztadragzta Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2009 in College Search & Selection
people often compare canadian unis with US unis....

McGill and UofT are often compared to top US school. (obviously not ivey)

unis such as McGill and UofT = which uni in the US?
Post edited by dragzta on

Replies to: Canadian Universities Vs US universities

• PoseidenjPoseidenj Posts: 546Registered User Member
    American higher education is best in the world. Our grade level schooling-systems suck arse though.
  • chsowlflax17chsowlflax17 Posts: 941Registered User Member
    Uhmm, our university SYSTEM is probably the best in the world, simply because we have so much variety, and so many options: really, if someone WANTS to go and can reasonably meet university requirements, they can get a bachelor's. However, MOST American universities are not as good as the flagship unis of other countries.

To the post itself: I've got no idea, sorry. I only know a bit about UK and NZ unis.
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    I'd put them around Michigan's level.
  • dragztadragzta Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    If i do my undergrad from McGill and hopefullr get 3.7 or more gpa.. what are my chances that i ill end up doing my grad studies from an Ivey.. or a top US grad school like cornell?
  • ZapzZapz Posts: 2,541- Senior Member
    "I'd put them around Michigan's level."
    How do you know? Did you go to Michigan and Mcgill or Toronto?

People shouldn't make comments like this. They can't prove it if they didn't go.

I hear that at Canadian universities is it not like the US. It is hard to get a high GPA like 3.7. I'm not completely sure, though. I'm sure US universities are aware of this. You just have to make sure to be on the research.
  • ChoklitRainChoklitRain Posts: 2,625- Senior Member
    according to the QS world university rankings, McGill(20th place) is about on the level of Michigan(18th place) and Carnegie Mellon(21st place). however, UToronto(41st place) is more on the level of NYU(40th place) and Boston University(46th place).
  • confusedboyconfusedboy Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    ^^ If that's true, then
    Dartmouth College (54th) is about on the level of Wisconsin-Madison (55th).
    Princeton (12th) is about on the same level of Duke and Johns Hopkins (13th)
  • IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    "I'd put them around Michigan's level."
    How do you know? Did you go to Michigan and Mcgill or Toronto?
    I have often said that I will not reveal where I attended college (or grad school), but suffice it to say that I am exceedingly familiar with both Michigan and Toronto. McGill is extremely weak in my area of focus so I never bothered to consider it, but it is certainly no stronger than Toronto.

Keep in mind that I consider Michigan a top 15 school, so this is no insult to the Canadian universities. I stand by my placement, however -- there is a reason Toronto hires heavily from top American universities.
    ^^ If that's true, then
    Dartmouth College (54th) is about on the level of Wisconsin-Madison (55th).
    Princeton (12th) is about on the same level of Duke and Johns Hopkins (13th)

yes, LAC-style schools tend to get screwed in most all rankings of world universities. however, I didn't mention any LAC-style schools in my post, so your argument isn't all that relevant
  • confusedboyconfusedboy Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    "yes, LAC-style schools tend to get screwed in most all rankings of world universities. however, I didn't mention any LAC-style schools in my post, so your argument isn't all that relevant"

Well, then I'll provide you with non LAC-style schools.
    Stanford (17th) is about on the level of Michigan (18th)?
    Virginia (96th) is about on the level of Pittsburgh (97th)?
    Basically what I'm trying to say here is the ranking isnt valid and shouldnt be used to compare world universities.
    Well, then I'll provide you with non LAC-style schools.
    Stanford (17th) is about on the level of Michigan (18th)?
    Virginia (96th) is about on the level of Pittsburgh (97th)?
    Basically what I'm trying to say here is the ranking isnt valid and shouldnt be used to compare world universities.

when we're comparing overall universities, UVA isn't that strong. it has a selective undergrad program but can't match schools like Michigan and Berkeley in overall strength.

stanford is listed as the 11th best american university. it didn't do as well as H and Y but it didn't get destroyed either. and yes, many internationals hold Stanford and Michigan in similar regard. these rankings aren't based on difficulty of undergrad admission.
  • crs1909crs1909 Posts: 1,217Registered User Senior Member
    So what are the rankings based on because if memory serves me correct, Stanford has better professional schools and graduate schools than Michigan and basically, the only school that might be better than Stanford, all things considered, is probably Harvard.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 8,798Registered User Senior Member
    I agree that Stanford should be ranked higher on that survey. However, Michigan as an overall university is really that good.
  • collegebosscollegeboss Posts: 437- Member
    as long as you dont go to university of manitoba you'll be alright
  • dragztadragzta Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    so McGill mechanical engineering = Michigan mechanical engineering ?

OR

McGill mechanical engineering ALMOST = Michigan mechanical engineering ?