Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

mid-range, mid-size schools in the northeast

julefyfejulefyfe Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in College Search & Selection
My daughter is interested in: a co-ed, mid-sized school (4,000 - 8,000), within in a 7 hour drive to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Her stats: 3.5 gpa, SAT's: m - 590, cr - 620, wr - 700. She is in love with Carnegie Mellon for these reasons: "Carnegie Mellon is not for everyone however. This is not a party school, if you are into sports as a major extra curricular I wouldn't recommend it. It is a great school for people who are open minded, interested in off the wall and off the beaten track things and who like meeting people that don't fit "typical" molds." (studentreviews.com), the size is perfect, it's in a nice size city. I like that the financial aid for need's based families is high. But, alas this school would be a very far reach for her. Also, she is not a science or tech type - though most of her friends are. She wants to study psychology, but needs a liberal arts college or university because her mind may (and probably will) change by the time she wakes up this morning. Any ideas would be hugely helpful - I am swimming in the information
Post edited by julefyfe on

Replies to: mid-range, mid-size schools in the northeast

• IBclass06IBclass06 Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    Providence College would be worth a look. Maybe Clark or Quinnipiac.
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz Posts: 3,114- Senior Member
    U of Scranton, U of Maine.
  • poipoi Posts: 2,427Registered User Senior Member
    Fordham, American and Ithaca. Maybe Syracuse (around 12,000 or so).
  • ELYELY Posts: 1,117Registered User Senior Member
    Marist comes to mind. Also a little further afield--U of Delaware.
  • AUTransferAUTransfer Posts: 401Registered User Junior Member
    Dickinson (might be a reach), Lafayette, American
  • SLUMOMSLUMOM Posts: 3,610Registered User Senior Member
    University of Vermont in Burlington has about 10,000 undergrads.
    Burlington has a lot going on for the student population.

Pricey for OOS, though, I take it that your D is not interested in UMASS? I interpreted your post as being a MA resident.
  • 10mwil10mwil Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Northeastern, Clark, Bennington maybe, Colgate...
  • julefyfejulefyfe Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    you guys are great! She is very interested in Umass - when we looked at it last year she fell in love with everything about it. She will definitely apply there, but I'm hoping she won't put all of her eggs in one basket. She says she doesn't want to be in Boston - personally I think she would love Boston, but I'm not her! I will research the suggestions you've all made. Thanks so much and keep 'em coming if you can!
  • par72par72 Posts: 3,706Registered User Senior Member
    Holy Cross, Trinity.
  • yabeyabe2yabeyabe2 Posts: 2,454Registered User Senior Member
    Above suggestions all excellent, especially Clark. Check Hampshire; Ursinus; Muhlenberg; Drew (all smaller than midsized, but the atmosphere she wants is more common at small schools); Goucher; Alleghenny; Pitt; Hobart; Alfred; Stonehill; Bard; Skidmore; Union; Juniata
  • 1980collegegrad1980collegegrad Posts: 1,469Registered User Senior Member
    Clark and Holy Cross have strong psych depts.
  • SLUMOMSLUMOM Posts: 3,610Registered User Senior Member
    julefyfe, as a parent of four, I have always urged my kids to look at different types of schools & their environment to see what feels right to them. For instance: Large public university (UMASS, UCONN, UVM etc.) smaller LAC's, a women's college (if interested) and urban, rural, suburban type settings. This helps to narrow it down!

Wheaton College (MA) not too far from you has a psychology major. Small town, kids go into Boston & Providence for a taste of city life. I personally, don't put too much emphasis on the major they think they want, because they do change their minds!
  • julefyfejulefyfe Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I am making a spreadsheet to help keep things in order. This website is so great and thanks to everyone for helping. I am sure she will change her mind many times and probably has since I began this thread. This is what I am thinking at this point: she is hoping to connect up with people with similar interests and tastes (as everyone is) so, if she chooses a small school it should be made up mostly of people she thinks like - in a larger school there are so many types she will be sure to find who she is looking for. I have a wonderful list going thanks to all of you. More suggestions are certainly welcome... but, I am going to start to narrow this list down! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 5,917Registered User Senior Member
    Well, UMass-Lowell or Salem State are far enough away from Boston and are situated in two interesting places, particularly Lowell, which has reportedly undergone a rennaisance.

Other than that...
    Allegheny College
    Westminster College, PA
    St. Lawrence University
    U of Rochester
    William Smith College
    Richard Stockon College
  • ghostbusterghostbuster Posts: 1,590- Senior Member
    Right...all excellent suggestions. But you better get cracking on narrowing the list down to the 10-12 she will apply to and start the applications NOW. (Many take the common app, which I highly recommend.) Because by Christmas the frenzy is on, the schools are closed and getting recommendations and transcripts in on time can be dicey. Some schools have January 1 deadlines for completed applications!!! GET GOING!

Good luck.