Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Non-Jesuit Catholic Universities

KhipperKhipper Posts: 193Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in College Search & Selection
After the University of Notre Dame, what would be the top non-Jesuit Catholic Univeristy in the country? Catholic U? Villanova? St. John's/St. Benedict's?

Just wonderin'
Post edited by Khipper on

Replies to: Non-Jesuit Catholic Universities

• vienna manvienna man Posts: 895Registered User Member
    University of Dallas- has the most National Merit Scholars, and a great books liberal arts curriculum patterened after Columbia that attracts a small, high achieving, scholarly class. The school has a reasonable tuition as well.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,689Registered User Senior Member
    U San Diego

St Mary's of California - Moraga

Seton Hall

Providence

Catholic U of America

St John's U

Stonehill

U of Dayton

Xavier in NO

there's a lot of small ones, too.
  • kwukwu Posts: 4,759Registered User Senior Member
    None of the universities mentioned are even close to Notre Dame...

I want to say Nova.
  • kitty56kitty56 Posts: 1,262Registered User Senior Member
    None of the universities mentioned are even close to Notre Dame...

I want to say Nova.

Agree on both points.
  • RMLRML Posts: 5,812Registered User Senior Member
    La Salle University should be in the list of best Catholic universities in America -- La Salle University "Never stop exploring" Philadelphia, PA

A friend of mine turned down Yale and a couple more ivies plus Chicago, Rice and Pepperdine, to name a few, to attend La Salle University.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,689Registered User Senior Member
    ooops...

I misread the original post. I thought it was asking for names of other Catholic U's that aren't Jesuit.

I agree...Villanova
  • eagles10eagles10 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    Notre Dame is probaly the best and then Villanova. Cathloic is a farily good school and Providence is too. Jesuit schools make up a lot of the Catholic schools in this country because simply that is one of their missions and they are very good at it. There are a lot of small catholic schools that still give a top notch education also.
  • ghostbusterghostbuster Posts: 1,590- Senior Member
    If you do a google search on Catholic Colleges and Universities you will see the complete list. Notre Dame is the best and toughest to get into. There are 28 Jesuit colleges. After the Jesuits you have U Portland (Holy Cross Fathers like Notre Dame), Providence, Villanova, Siena, Franciscan-Steubenville, U San Diego (diocesan), Duquesne (Spiritan Fathers), DePaul, Catholic University, LaSalle, Manhattan College (in posh Riverdale, run by the Christian Bros.) Univ. of Dallas, St. Thomas University (Minnesota), and a host of others.

Its tough to "rank them". It really comes down to what you are looking for academically (Manhattan is very strong in engineering....like Villanova), what level of religious influence you desire or none at all, the make up of the student body, sports, geographic location etc.

Some people want a large national school and some want a very small and intimate school.
  • OHKIDOHKID Posts: 1,255Registered User Senior Member
    Villanova would be #2, followed by the University of Dayton at #3, DePaul at #4, and CUA at #5.
  • tall sainttall saint Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    La Salle University should be in the list of best Catholic universities in America -- La Salle University "Never stop exploring" Philadelphia, PA

A friend of mine turned down Yale and a couple more ivies plus Chicago, Rice and Pepperdine, to name a few, to attend La Salle University.

Any idea why? Just wondering...because as a native Pennsylvanian, the only kid I know at La Salle is there because she didn't get into Temple.
  • kcmdonahuekcmdonahue Posts: 503Registered User Member
    tallsaint, my best guess would be a full ride. Yale and more? There are kids who would kill to get into those schools. I guess she could have fallen totally in love with the school?
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,567Registered User Senior Member

Any idea why? Just wondering...because as a native Pennsylvanian, the only kid I know at La Salle is there because she didn't get into Temple.

Any idea why why RML would post that? Probably because the name De La Salle is somewhat familiar in his neck of the woods in Manila.

As far as the story, chalk that up to simply one more fantastic tale.
  • ghostbusterghostbuster Posts: 1,590- Senior Member
    I forgot about Dayton. Not intentional. Dayton is a fine school run by the Marianist Bros.