Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Late Deadline Schools

strawberrieeestrawberrieee Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in College Search & Selection
I submitted my applications to top schools in my list. However, I want to apply to some more colleges/universities. Can you suggest me some schools that have following criteria:
-Good Economics/Business Department
-Decent Financial Aid for international student (my maximum family contribution is 30.000 USD)
-Deadlines on/after February 1
-Good weather (I absolutely can never stand cold weather - my bad!)

I have SAT I 2060 (780M 590CR 690W) - SAT II: 800 Maths II - 750 Maths I - 760 Chem.
Top 10% class.

Thank you.
Post edited by strawberrieee on

Replies to: Late Deadline Schools

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,374Registered User Senior Member
    I think most of the schools that give aid to int'ls probably have deadlines that have passed. I could be wrong, though. Others may know of some.

you might consider some publics that have COA's around $30k.

COA = cost of attendance.
  • gapyearstudentgapyearstudent Posts: 1,679Registered User Senior Member
    Lake Forest (Its in Chicago though)

Try SUNYs oos COA is lower than your contribution.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,374Registered User Senior Member
    Does Lake Forest give a lot of aid to int'ls?

It has a COA of

2009-2010 Academic Year

Tuition & Fees............... $34,206

Room............................. $3,966

Board (meals)................. $4,040

Total Direct Costs.......... $42,212

plus books...................... $1,000
    ....................................$43,212

And that doesn't include personal expenses or travel costs.

And, of course, this school has very cold and snowy winters.

The SUNYs and CUNYs would be within budget, but don't they all have cold/snowy winters?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,378Registered User Senior Member
    Late & Rolling Deadline Schools

This is not good: "Decent Financial Aid for international student". Is that USD 30,000 the maximum for each year, or the maximum total for all four years (annual amount USD 7,500)?

If the latter is true, you need to take a long, hard look at universities in your home country.
  • gapyearstudentgapyearstudent Posts: 1,679Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, Lake Forest gives aid up to 22,000 for internationals if I'm not mistaken. I think its based on need. But you did miss the scholarship deadline (Jan 1st)

Strawberrie - how important is good weather, because most schools i can think of is in cold weather. If its very important, you probably need to restrict your search to California and the south. I might be mistaken though.
  • strawberrieeestrawberrieee Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    @happymomof1: Thanks for the link. USD 30.000 is maximum for each year, that's the amount my parents can pay if they try their best. However,I hope I could contribute about USD 20.000 or lower.

@gapyearstudent: You can suggest me the schools that satisfy my criteria other than good weather, but please note about it (because I'm international, I dont' know much about weather in US states). I will research then make decision. If a school is too good yet the weather there is cold, I may apply to it then see how FA they give me.

@mom2collegekids: Thanks. I'll look for some public universities.
  • strawberrieeestrawberrieee Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    bump. anyone?
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Posts: 4,290Registered User Senior Member
    With your stats, weather requirements and financial constraints, I'd consider Canada too.

University of British Columbia, Feb 28th deadline. It's a safety for you, probably costs around $30Kish depending on the Canadian dollar. Not too cold, rain forest weather.

University of Arizona, rolling, $29K. A safety, very hot, rolling admissions as late as May 1. Desert weather.

Clemson, May 1 deadline, $32K. Weather is moderate.

If you can buy a winter coat then,

Ohio State University - You will probably be admitted to the Honors Program which gives you priority registration and lots of nice honors sections for classes. It's too late for scholarships, but tuition + room and board are right around $30K if you pay straight up. Feb 1 deadline.

University of Toronto and Queen's University, which use the same application. Toronto's is due Feb 1.

University of Wisconsin, Feb 1 ~$31K, Top 20 Economics Department, very cold.

University of Minnesota, no closing date, ~$24K, Top 15 Economics Department, among the coldest imaginable weather.

These are all massively large schools.
  • ghostbusterghostbuster Posts: 1,590- Senior Member
    This is a repeat question. Its asked every year. Go to the search on CC and find the answers. There are HUNDREDS of schools with late application deadlines, though most are January 15, some were also Feb 1 and some Feb 15. Also many schools have ROLLING admissions.

UNC-Chapel Hill also extended their Deadline II to Tuesday the 19th, which they seem to do every year. Its an online application.
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,597Registered User Senior Member
    Clemson has an application deadline of May 1st. The weather is excellent at Clemson, it's January right now and it can be 60+ degrees and sunny. Tuition at Clemson is $26,000 (more around $40,000 when you count everything including housing, food, personal expenses, transportation etc...), but you should get some financial aid to cover the difference. Our business program is ranked 27th among public universities in the country (more information here: Prospective Undergraduates : Clemson University). Our economics program is pretty good too (some information here: John E. Walker Department of Economics, Clemson University Undergraduate Information)
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Posts: 4,290Registered User Senior Member
    Regarding Clemson, I got my data from

College Search - Clemson University - Cost & Financial Aid

And I just counted Tuition, Room + Board. You can buy and sell used books, and wear outer clothes twice before washing them if the alternative is no education. This still seems less than $35K, not 40K. I knew international students who only went home once every couple of years to save money.
  • glowormgloworm Posts: 2,265Registered User Senior Member
    Just what you need!

Trinity U in San Antonio, TX. In the upcoming week it will be 70F, rated #1 in Master's/West, generous to intels (even scholarships for them. Check the wesite).

Deadline 2/1.
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,597Registered User Senior Member
    This is where I got my information for Clemson tuition: Cost of Attendance

I'm on track to spend about the same amount except I probably will spend a lot less for transportation since I live in the US